Cala Gonone / Sardinia

Cala Gonone / Sardinia

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 40.27114°N / 9.60754°E
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rocks and water at Cala Gonone














Cala Gonone is located at the middle of the east coast of Sardinia at the Golf di Orosei.
Cala Gonone belongs to the county Dorgali.

Further it was a fisher´s village but in the meantime it is a pure holidays resort. It is a place for bathing and especially one of the greatest places for climbing at Sardinia!

In some places you have the possibility to climb directly at the beach and go swimming after climbing. You have great possibilities for climbing there with only a short access to the rocks.

The whole climbing areas are perfectly secured with bolts every 2 metres! The quality of the bolts is very good in most of the routes.

There are 10 walls around Cala Gonone with all difficulties from 4 to 8b.
Cala Gonone















Overview of climbing possibilities:
- La Poltrona (big wall with 250 hm), some famous routes climbed by Heinz Mariacher
- Budinetto
- Grottone Biddiriscottai
- Cala Fuili
- Cala Luna
- Arcadio
- Surtana




Big wall climbing at Cala Gonone

Getting There

You can reach Cala Gonone via country road in about 45 minutes from Nuoro, in 1.5 hours from Olbia and in 2.5 hours from Cagliari. Distance from Dorgali 7 km.
The road is well marked with signs.

Airports are in Alghero, Olbia and Cagliari.

By ship you can reach Olbia and Cagliari f.e. from Genua.

Climate

Sunset near Cala Gonone














You can climb in Sardinia the whole year. But in summer it is often too hot. In November and December there are some days of rain. 10 days per month in November and December are possible (but even better than in the middle of Europe!).
The best time is spring and fall but there are many climbers in the area.
So you have to decide what you prefer.

Accommodation

You have several possibilities of accommodation in Cala Gonone. It is a village with many hotels with fair prices. You also have the possibility to rent an apartment. There is also a camping place in the village.

Free camping is forbidden.

When there are a lot of tourists at Cala Gonone in summer you also have many possibilities of accommodation in Dorgali (7 kilometres).

Books & Maps

Books:

Most used book with all climbing areas of Sardinia, topos and informations in Italian, English and German language:
Pietra di Luna from Maurizio Oviglia
15x21 cm, 392 pages

Sardinia (Sardegna / Sardinien)
M. Omidvar
Rother Verlag
ISBN: 3-7633-4800-X (English)
ISBN: 3-7633-4143-9 (Italian)
ISBN: 3-7633-4023-8 (German)



Maps:

Sardinien / Sardinia
World Mapping Project Map
1:200000
Reise Know-How Verlag
ISBN: 3-8317-7091-3

Digital map at
atlanteitaliano.it





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SupramonteAreas & Ranges