Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.95345°N / 101.67625°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3158 ft / 963 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Not the highest, most challenging, or most remote named peak in Palo Duro Canyon, Capitol Peak nevertheless is appealing for its aesthetic qualities, great views, and short approach and route. If you want a quick, rewarding summit, especially in the summer, you'll like Capitol Peak.

Looming above the park's busiest trailhead and accessed after a short hike along the park's most popular trail (Lighthouse), Capitol Peak will beckon to any lover of high places. Views of and from the peak are best in the morning, but there are also excellent views of/from the peak in the afternoon.

Palo Duro Canyon and Capitol Peak are like a piece of Utah sliced off and dumped among the vast flatness and monotone of the Texas Panhandle.

Capitol Peak
Capitol Peak


Capitol Peak Cliffs
Capitol Peak Cliffs

Capitol Peak Cliffs
Capitol Peak Cliffs

Capitol Peak Cliffs
Capitol Peak Cliffs

Capitol Peak Cliffs
Capitol Peak Cliffs


Getting There

Palo Duro Canyon State Park is 12 miles east of Canyon, Texas and about half an hour southeast of Amarillo. Follow good signs to the park entrance. Once inside the park, drive about 5 miles, passing the Trading Post, to a major trailhead and parking area on the right.

Route

Hike about 0.4 mi along the Lighthouse Trail to a junction. The Lighthouse Trail continues to the right; a mountain-bike trail goes left. Go left a very short distance and pick up an obvious use trail leading to an obvious gully. 

Capitol Peak Route
Capitol Peak Route

Scramble up the gully; this is full of dirt and loose rock, so when and if you do use your hands, be careful, as the hardened mud that qualifies as rock here breaks easily.

Total one-way distance is about half a mile. Elevation gain is a few hundred feet tops.

Capitol Peak Summit
Capitol Peak Summit

Capitol Peak Summit
Capitol Peak Summit

Capitol Peak
Capitol Peak Summit

Capitol Peak Summit
Capitol Peak Summit


Capitol Peak Summit View
Capitol Peak Summit View

Capitol Peak Summit View
Capitol Peak Summit View

Red Tape

The daily entrance fee is $5 per adult, not vehicle; children 12 and under get in free. Texas residents are wise to buy the Texas State Parks Pass ($60) when I got mine in 2016; it covers not just the holder but also all occupants in the vehicle.

The park gates do not open until 7 A.M., and the staff seems to enforce this strictly. 

When to Climb

Spring and fall are best. Winters are cold and windy in this part of Texas. Summers are hot, but this climb is a quick one and perfect for early or late in the day.

Camping

There are several campgrounds in the park, and there are cabins as well. I have not stayed at any of them and do not know the fees, reservation policies, etc. Please use the link in the next section to research such information.

External Links

State park website


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Caprock CanyonlandsMountains & Rocks
 
Palo Duro CanyonMountains & Rocks