Captain Fist

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.93900°N / 105.403°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Captain Fist ascends the left side of the "tilted tower" on Arch Rock. It's a nice one-pitch rock route.

Getting There

Arch Rock (see main page) is 4.0 miles from the kiosk at the entrance to the canyon. Parking is scarce. There is a great spot suitable for one or two cars at the base of the crag. When that is full, park 1/4 mile upriver at a campground.

Route Description

Approach



Hike from the road on use trails straight up to the rock wall. This may involve some scrambling and/or bushwhacking. There are a million trails here, so just pick one and keep going. When you arrive at the crag, Captain Fist is to the right of Hollow Flake, and begins under a big roof.

The Climb



One pitch. See signature photo. You'll find out why this route is called Captain Fist on your first move. To protect your first 20 feet of climbing, you'll need to put your largest cam straight up into the crack in the roof above you. This is tough if you're not about 6'2" or bigger. You can always run it out around the roof if you can't reach. Once above and to the left of the roof, follow crack systems to a two bolt anchor. Rappel off or continue above on other routes.

Essential Gear

A big cam. Several medium stoppers, cams, and hexes.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.