Capulin Peak Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.21920°N / 106.4097°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 0.6 miles (one-way to the summit)
Trailhead Elevation - 8880'
Summit Elevation - 8929'
Gain - 260'

Getting There

See the "Getting There" section on the Capulin Peak main page.

Route Description

Parking AreaLeaving the parking area
OpeningOnto the summit ridge

From the parking area outside the gate closure hike down the road a short distance. Just before reaching the parking area there is a opening on the right side of the road that goes down a short hill on to the main trail. If you miss this there is another enterance to the trail just before and behind the bathrooms on the right side of the parking area.
Trail splitTrail split; go left

Once on the trail the hike is straight forward and well marked with cross-country ski markers. Continue through the pine forest to a fork in the trail. Take the left fork to the summit; the right for will take you down to Rt 165. The trail will start to climb gently and at the top of the hill you will see a clearing. Hike up the hill towards the clearing where you will leave the tall pine trees behind and will see the scrub oak on the rocky summit ridge. At this point a faint trail will angle slightly left but the main trail will take a hard right turn. Shortly after the right turn you will see the ruins of a mining shack on the left and a small mining pit on the right. Continue along the rocky ridge until you are on the highest point.



Along the RidgeAlong the summit ridge
RuinsRuins

Essential Gear

Typical Gear for a short hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.