Carstensz Pyramid (Puncak Jaya) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

taysky - Jul 15, 2014 2:37 am Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2014

Stranded climbers in Carstensz

Stranded climbers in Carstensz

anybody know about this?

https://www.change.org/petitions/freeport-mcmoran-to-evacuate-climbers-trapped-in-papau-new-guinea

bruno baschung

bruno baschung - Apr 1, 2011 2:14 pm Date Climbed: Mar 3, 2011

Harrers route  Sucess!

I climbed the Carstensz Pyramid after the long trekking approach from Illaga (back and forth) which is about 80 to 100 km to walk.

I advise people to choose rather an approach with helicopter dropp off or attempt if through the Freeport mine if an agreement with mine authorities (HQ in the US) can be reached which is quite tricky.

The trekking indeed on the contrary is very long and demanding and offers only a historica interest being the road followed by Harrer (approach from Sugape is somewhat similar). If chhosing the trekking get prepared to a very long walk (5 days to go to BC with a lot of rain and mud, rivers crossing). the landscape is quite monotonous and not as beautiful (except perhaps the last day when crossiong NZ pass) as other equatorial trekk (like for instance ruwenzori which is much easier and a good test to prepare).

The climb with the tyrolean is quite demanding and I discourage non experienced teams and climbers to venture on the tryloean traverse if they 're not really used to it.

It took us 6h20 to climb the peak from BC which is 4225m high. We started at 2 am. Get ready to face rain anayway during the day.

after the tyrolean traverse there are 2 samll pitches on the way.

The lowest of the seven summits, but for sure not the easiest!

Bruno baschung

Noelle

Noelle - Mar 27, 2008 11:12 am Date Climbed: Oct 9, 2007

ohhh what a trip  Sucess!

Summited Carstensz in ice and snow! Did a Tyrolean Traverse across the big gap on icy ropes too. Not fun, a scary climb. The ride through the mine in and out was a huge adventure too!

sutcliffe996

sutcliffe996 - Dec 3, 2007 3:48 am Date Climbed: Nov 24, 2007

Sutcliffe996  Sucess!

Successful climb with Bill Allen from Mountain Trip. That's the 7!

7summits

7summits - Mar 30, 2001 2:11 am

Route Climbed: Normal North face route (Harrer route) Date Climbed: 26-10-1999  Sucess!

Snow, rain and sharp rock, this is more than a mountain, this is an adventure!



Check out my site:

www.7summits.com for pictures and more info,



Keep climbing,



Harry

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Carstensz Pyramid (Puncak Jaya)' main page