Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Fury

Fury - Sep 9, 2005 10:29 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

In "Selected Apline Climbs" this route is rated as 5.4. Apparently there are two variations from the scree bowl. Do you know if the left (original) route is similar in difficulty to the route you describe (up to 5.7)? Sounds like a great climb!

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Sep 9, 2005 10:57 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Fury, Sean's book is nicknamed the "book of lies" for a reason. But in all fairness, anybody who writes a guidebook, me included, is going to be hammered. Just too many variations and opinions to take into account. Many of us locals feel the Eisenhower Tower route that I describe on SP has several 5.7 moves. I just climbed Lorette two days ago and Blane yesterday. Sean has Lorette at 5.4, not even close to the exposure or difficulty as Eisenhower. In fact, I saw it as a difficult scramble basically. Blane is long and exposed, but no moves needed compared to Eisenhower. He calls it a 5.6. If Eisenhower is 5.4, Blane is a 5.2. So is the case in the Canadian Rockies, it is all subjective. What everyone knows about the ratings locally is that if the old timers rated it, it is probably 2 degrees more difficult via the modern rating system. Remember, in the day, they did not go to 5.13, so they used the lower scale to compare the routes. It is my assumption that Lorette and Blane were rated more recently and that Eisenhower, being such an early and stand out objective was rated quite some time ago. Sean pulls the ratings from the first ascenders. It is all comparative and subjective. But if someone thought Eisenhower was lesser of a climb than the East Ridge of Lady Mac at 5.5 or Lorette at 5.4, they would be in for a rude awakening. To answer your question, I soloed both times on the right from the scree bowl. The first move Steve Fedyna and I both think is a 5.7 is the start of the tower itself, once already on the Dragons Back. It is a good clean route, not overwhelming, just not 5.4 either. Enjoy and Cheers! (thanks for voting on the page Colin)

Fury

Fury - Sep 9, 2005 11:56 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Thanks so much for the info Dow. I am new to the game (and obsessed with the Canadian Rockies) and have been researching several routes in "Selected Alpine Climbs". Since you obviously have a lot of local knowledge are there any routes that you would recommend that a prairie-boy should cut his teeth on? Thanks again. - Colin

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Sep 9, 2005 12:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Colin, search the mountains and routes I have added to SP, or go to my website to peruse a route or mountain. My recommendations are usually in the route information.



I will go out with you any day if you want. When you come, I can assess your level and what you want to do and make a recommendation. It will be a new route for me as well, as I don't repeat anything anymore. I do a minimum of 40 mountains per year. Cheers.



ps: I fully understand your obsession

Fury

Fury - Sep 15, 2005 9:13 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

I have another question for you Dow. I was wondering if you could could give me an indication of climb quality and rating accuracy for two peaks. I found two climbs in "Selected.." that caught my attention. The first being the unnamed peak at Lake Louise and the other is Mount Odaray. I am planning objectives far in advance, but I tend to research things in depth (read: obsessive) before setting out. Take care. - Colin

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Sep 15, 2005 10:04 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Colin, I have been up neither mountain. William Marler has added Odaray and SP member jstanley has signed the summit log. So those two would be better sources. Always a kind jester to vote on their pages/photos if you find their information useful on peaks you are interested in.



Most of the mountains back into Lake Ohara are easy going. But the Tarrant Buttress of Odaray is no doubt one of the most challenging routes. This year, so many routes were out of condition for different reasons. We had a record setting June (snow and rain) and have had early snows hit us hard the past few days. I had to bail on a route yesterday due to unstable weather.



It is definitely best to pick a wide range of choices, both in location and difficulty so your trip will be worthwhile no matter the objective circumstances. Send me an email before you arrive! (dowww@aol.com) Cheers.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Castle-Eisenhower' main page