Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.88002°S / 69.87216°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 14275 ft / 4351 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cerro Penitentes is known among Argentinians as the "Mirador Mountain", from where you can get the best view of Aconcagua, & also a view of several other snow-capped Andean peaks, including Volcán Tupungato.


   Getting There

By public transport take an A. Buttini bus from Mendoza & ask to get dropped at the trailhead 2.5km after the village of Los Penitentes - just after the tunnel (RN7, KM1214). It is also just 5.5km downhill from Puente del Inca if you are coming from there - there are a couple of cheap hostels in Puente del Inca, & a small store.

Route

Cross the Rio Mendoza via the very dodgy-looking footbridge & head straight for the valley, crossing some small streams. The route initially climbs steeply, before becoming more gradual and following the river, keeping it on your right hand side until just after a fence when you need to cross over. Cross back over the river after some large boulders & you have crossed a smaller tributary stream. Not far up ahead is the tiny refugio (3-4 people max) and many good campsites. From the campground, walk a couple of hundred metres ahead before turning 90º left & following the path up - many switchbacks and very steep. The last couple of kilometres are flatter than the first two after camp. You will pass some penitentes at approx 4,100m before continuing and eventually arriving at a large flat area where the summit cross is finally visible (possible campsite, but very, very windy, no rock walls or even rocks around). Easy walk from here to the top for an incredible view of Aconcagua.

Red Tape

None. No entry fee, nada.

When to Climb

Possible year-round, but easier in the summer months - crampons, ice axe etc. required in winter and sometimes in spring/autumn, depending on the snow conditions.

Camping

Lots of good campsites near the tiny refugio at 3,150m, also a very large flat but extremely windy area just before the summit at 4,300m.

External Links

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=47347