Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.32980°N / 71.4984°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 14, 2002
Cherry Mtn. from the...This is a summer shot because my camera was broken


Cherry Mtn.
3.8 miles
March 14th
3,573 ft.

Mt. Washington is in clear sight now!!

In what has been clearly a disappointing winter, this hike has proven to be a great winner. It was short and challenging but a lot of fun. I hate living up here and looking at all these beautiful mountains and knowing that because I need to work two jobs to survive that I don’t have the time to visit them. But at least today I have a winner on my hands.

Starting out during a warm beautiful late winter day with temperatures in the 30’s and little wind, I headed up the seemingly gentle Cherry Mtn. trail. I was turned off to this trail in the beginning because the trees were more forested scrubs than true forest. Soon though I was in the forest. Go up the mountain I was surprised to see that some of the trail was bald. Bald, in early March!! What a crappy winter!

The trail though soon became steady and steeper at times. At one point I was beginning to feel some of my snowshoe slip on some of the slightly steeper stuff (still though easily Class 1). It was funny, the higher I went the steeper it got. I was starting to get tired from the hike, due to the fact that it was the first mountain I had hiked in two months. Just when the tired feeling really started to take control, the trail became more gradual. It then merged with a snowmobile path and was smooth sailing the rest of the way.

On top were a couple of very pretty views that were cut out. You could see the Presidential and all of their March snow shining clearly. Crawford Notch looked impressed for being twenty miles away. I can only imagine the view from Mt. Washington. No picture will give this view justice. There were also two other good views as well. One view was of Franconia Notch and the western White Mountains, and one of Littleton in the foreground and the distant Green Mountains in the background.

Guess what I had for lunch, dried cherries. They taste good for some reason on this mountain. I wonder why?

The hike down was quick and fun at one point I sledded down about twenty feet due to a trip from going too fast. You really can go very fast on snowshoes going downhill. It took me forty minutes to go 1.9 miles down a mountain. That's quick! Overall it was a very fun hike. I now know why it’s a favorite of many local families.





Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.