Chimney Climbing

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.69237°N / 74.21056°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Although this area is well known for its caving opportunities, this page is for information about rock climbing opportunities there. This area is not mentioned in Mellor's Climbing in the Adirondacks. At the top of the Chimney Mountain trail, you will find an approximately 75'+ wall with three routes easily available by toprope (pictured below). It is perfect for beginners. More, higher routes are available with more creative setups, or by leading the Chimney.

Getting There

From I-87 Exit 23 (Warrensburg), follow Route 9 North to 28. Take Route 28 to Chamberlain Road on the LEFT (if you reach Indian Lake, the nearest place for food, etc., you went to far). Chamberlain becomes Big Brook Road. Follow it to the end. Take the trail to Chimney Mountain (a little over a mile).

Red Tape

The parking area is on private land. Please respect these landowners to keep access open.

Camping

None available at the parking area; Cabins are available for rent. There is a big, flat camping area near the top of the mountain (north of the Chimney).

Beta

As mentioned above, Chimney Mountain is not mentioned in Mellor's Climbing in the Adirondacks. So, I am soliciting information/opinions about routes and ratings for these climbs. For the three basic toprope routes, I would guess they are all about 5.6. I'd like to post photos of the routes here, and I'm seeking contributions.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.