Chinidere Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.58630°N / 121.8111°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From I-84 at Hood River go south though the upper part of town on 12th then 13th St. eventually taking Tucker road which turns into the Dee Hwy. At Dee, cross the railroad tracks passing by the abandoned sawmill, cross the river and turn left at Lost Lake Road. 4 ¾ miles up this road take the right fork marked "Wahtum Lake". After another 4.4 miles take the right fork again. At 14.5 miles from Dee, park in the trailhead parking lot to the right. The road is paved in it's entirety but narrow with turnouts past the second fork.


Route Description


From the parking lot, head downhill 50 yds. bearing NW and find the trail marked "Wahtum Lake Tr. No. 406H". In another 50 ft. take the trail marked "Wahtum Express 406J" and enjoy the 254 railroad tie stairs down the hill turning left at the junction with the PCT. In another quarter mile take the right fork marked "Eagle Creek Tr. no. 440". After another .12 miles, turn right at the sign "Chinidere Mt. Trail" "Short cut to north bound PCT". Cross the outlet creek on the logjam and head up the hill. There is another junction in a half mile: Take the left fork and cross the small stream. In another quarter mile go left on the PCT for about 100 ft and take the trail up the hill to the right marked "Chinidere Mtn." The summit is .45 miles up the trail.

Total round-trip distance is 3.4 miles with 1170 feet of total round-trip elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Early season hikers will find snow on the upper portions of the trail but it is not too steep so normal hiking boots are the only gear needed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.