Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Romijn - Mar 19, 2009 9:19 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

Hi Vic,

I've hiked the track February 3 to 8, 2009, using your description as a guide in addition to the map obtained at the SAE office in Cusco. Thanks for your excellent route description!

Some additional notes which might be interesting for others:

* The first week of February is supposed to be mid rainy season. This meant a couple of hours of rain per day and the extended views on snowy mountain tops were scarce. However, there were no real problems with the track. But maybe I have just been lucky and the rainy season was not so rainy this year...

* At Choquequirao: there are two paths going up-hill at the Yanama-sign. Take the one outside of the fence.

* The crossing of the rio Blanco: there were planks lying alongside the river that could be used to cross the deepest/fastest part of the current. The remaining part of the current could be forded easily.

* Going up from the river to the Maizal campsites took me much more than 1 hour.

* The bridge just before Totora was still there despite it being the rainy season :-)

* A new road is being constructed between La Playa and Totora, at the opposite side of the river. So for those who still want to hike this part of the trek without being bothered by car noise: don't wait to long!

Best regards,
Reinout Romijn

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Mar 21, 2009 1:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks!

Hi Reinout,

Glad you were able to do the hike and that my info was helpful. Thanks for your comments.

Vic

griff

griff - Sep 5, 2011 5:46 am - Hasn't voted

night time temps?

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the great report. 2 friend and I are doing this trek in Mid-October. I see during the day it will be hot. How cold did it get at night? Do you recommend a down coat? What level of sleeping bag would you recommend? We are doing the Choquequirao to Machu Picchu over 8 days.

Thanks,
Griff

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Sep 12, 2011 12:28 am - Hasn't voted

temps

Hi Griff, Sorry for the delay but have been traveling with little internet access for the last week. It is the beginning of spring in Peru now so the weather is getting warmer. Check the weather for Cusco and it should give you a rough idea for the temps, they should be similar. I see the next 10 days are rainy with lows in the mid to low 40s. I would guess lows would be around 50+/- in a month. Be prepared for some rain and don't forget the DEET! A 20 - 30 deg. bag is what I would suggest, depending on how cold you sleep. I usually carry a lightweight down sweater (about 7 oz), mainly for a pillow, but you shouldn't need anything more than that. Check with the South America Explorers Club in Cusco when you get there for current conditions, maps or a guide if you want one (not really needed if you can speak a little Spanish). Check the parent page to this for more info if you haven't. Have fun! Vic

Khood11 - Mar 16, 2015 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Logistical planning

Hi, I am new to all of this and just had a few questions.
I am planning on doing this hike with my boyfriend this May. First off, did you leave your packs in the hostel when you were climbing Machu Picchu? Did you stay the night before doing this hike or just take the train in very early in the morning?
I have also heard that the Huayana Picchu hike is fairly strenuous, do you think it was difficult after the 5 day journey? Or was it do-able?
Finally, we were wondering if there is an option to take a train straight from Aguas Calientes or Ollantaytambo to Cuzco? If so, where is the train station in relation to Machu Picchu? Could we take it the same day as seeing Machu Picchu?
Thank you so much!
--Kaila

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Choquequirao - Machu Picchu In Five Days' main page