Chornohora Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
visentin

visentin - Jul 18, 2010 3:59 pm - Voted 10/10

speechless

amazing work ! now waiting impatiently for the neighbouring areas !

LukZem

LukZem - Jul 19, 2010 2:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: speechless

Hi Eric,
Thanks for possitive feedback with the Chornohora page.
Next will be Maramarosh and Svydovets - so special wild places...

visentin

visentin - Jul 19, 2010 3:10 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

Maramarosh, i guess you mean Maramures ? I already made a page, but I admit it can be improved a lot ! I'll give you the editing rights ;) Svydovets will be for sure a great addition. What about Gorgany ?

LukZem

LukZem - Jul 19, 2010 3:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: speechless

I talked with YATSEK and he said that he will calm you down with Maramarosh (do not forget to use English name). Do not worry, I will be dealing with Ukrainian part only - not Romanian. I asked Yatsek the name should be Rakhivskyi Mountains, but he recomended Maramarosh Mountains...

visentin

visentin - Jul 19, 2010 3:34 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

What do you mean calm down ? I admit it's not up to the standards and should be rewritten, and I know Yatsek.. ;) However if you think that Maramures/Maramarosh is one same geographical region (however divided into 2 political entities), I see no use of making 2 pages. I keep my invitation of using the current one.

LukZem

LukZem - Jul 19, 2010 3:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: speechless

I added two photos of Wooden churches. I will ask YATSEK about his opinion with Maramarosh Mountains, to make sure with your statement. But I would prefer to work together with you in this common interest...

visentin

visentin - Jul 19, 2010 4:00 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

The border (soon Schengen border ?) and the administrative difficulties that result from it are certainly good reasons and I understand this point of view, however I think the vocation of SP is to describe mountains beyonds borders. I would think the same if for example there was a french page and a spanish page about the Pyrenees, which would be the worse possible case. I posted a "poll" about the Maramures topic in the forum. Let's see what people think.
Btw: do you think that nowadays, hiking from Sighet towards the south end of Chornohora along the Romanian border is allowed and/or risky ? A Transcarpathian trail is under study (romanian part and ukrainian part) and the junction is being studied, possibly at Sighet or Valea if open soon. The design of the trail into the Maramures is a hot topic and is another reason why I am interested in the common development of this page.

LukZem

LukZem - Jul 19, 2010 4:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: speechless

I totally agree with you, because the borders are not important. I sent Yatsek my will to work together with you and I hope he will understand it. What about walking along Romanian-Ukrainian border.
I was twice in this strictly protected region and I have to say, that without any permission it is no good to enter not only the border, but a 5-kilometre corridor outside the border. Note:Ukrainian laws are some kind of Soviet old times, and I was totally shocked in January 2010, when I tried to go from Bohdan village to Maramarosh Biosphere Reserve. Border control told me, that I have no permission to go there, and they warned me not to enter this area any more without permission, anyway they will deport me and I pay a fee of 400 Hr. They downloaded 2000 photos from my camera and it resembled me the old Soviet times, when it was strictly forbidden to make any photos of this area. So be carefull when planning your trip along border, you must contact office in Mukachevo several weeks before you come to this area of wilderness. IF you will be given the permission, than you will enter the world of Hutsul Alps, where I spent unforgettable week close to the most romantic mountain of the Ukrainian Carpathians - Pip Ivan.

yatsek

yatsek - Jul 19, 2010 5:45 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

To Eric,
I mean our old "Scotland" argument. So you'd better let the Mar(a)marosh Mountains page be born and I'll let your Maramures page live on peacefully. ;)

visentin

visentin - Jul 19, 2010 6:02 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

As far as I know the scot argument was rather with Nanuls, but thanks to positive critics we fixed the issue and the page looks like successful.
For Maramures/osh I give Lukzem the full green light to rewrite it with the chapters as he wants. I propose to include the borders informations he mentioned (more than important !) and then include the equivalent informations (getting there, main peaks, etc) for the Romanian side, which I can partly do. I'd like also the stories about the meanings of the gates and the Ieud etymology to remain somewhere in the page in an appropriate section. But for the rest, it's all OK.

LukZem

LukZem - Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: speechless

It is hard to dicide about Maramarosh. Because of the fact, that Yatsek put a big effort in my pages, I owe him so much, and want to ask if it is possible to give him the admin status to better correct and add his experience from the Romanian part. But I will wait a bit, after this problem will not be solved. Please contact Yatsek for more details...

yatsek

yatsek - Jul 19, 2010 6:44 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

Well, neither Dan nor me have decided to vote on "Scotland", first and foremost because we don't like that kind of approach to SP taxonomy. On the other hand, as I pointed out once, I've come to think an extra "history-related" set of pages looks like an interesting idea to me, worth developing. But what's the Maramures Mts - already briefly described in the middle of this chapter is not the same as the historical province; it's not what's now a Romanian county either.

So, to sum it all up, Eric, I guess we have thus invited Lukas to start a new "Mar(a)marosh Mountains" page and - at the same time - to develop your "Maramures" page. :)

visentin

visentin - Jul 19, 2010 6:51 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

I give my page in the hands of those willing to improve it (or not). I'm not competent enough to decide where exactly are the border of this region. I just want to avoid duplicate pages. Lukzem, there is absolutely no conflict between the old wise Jacek and me, despite of his recurrent tickling critics about accuracy of my pages and my frenglish ;) So feel free to tackle me on SP-related topics, I'll never get angry about it;)

yatsek

yatsek - Jul 19, 2010 7:02 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

Eric,
I see I've calmed you down, or rather you've just calmed me down - thanks!

yatsek

yatsek - Jul 19, 2010 7:23 am - Voted 10/10

Re: speechless

To All,
Now look at this map

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Jul 20, 2010 4:20 am - Voted 10/10

Very...

Very good page!!!
Congrats!!!
Romek
P.S. Look at my album on Old Flora of Czarnohora.

LukZem

LukZem - Jul 20, 2010 5:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very...

Thanks for this special kind of album with very precious photos. Yatsek attached one of them to Chornohora page and your congrats goes to him too, because he put a big effort to this first (Area/Range) page dealing with Ukrainian Carpathians. Please, if you have any photos from Maramarosh or Svydovets area, let us know. These Area/Range pages will be created in the nearest future...

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 25, 2010 6:54 pm - Voted 10/10

An excellent and highly interesting page!!

The photos are superb...and I followed with great interest the discussion above. I would also say, leave out the border issue and simply concentrate on the geographical aspect...Visentin mentioned the pyrenees...I would also find it a bit beyond the point if the Mont Blanc area were, at least here on SummitPost, devided into a french portion and an italian portion (we should maybe ask Antonio and Oswaldo what they would think!), or the Silvretta massif into a swiss half and an austrian half...Or, even better - I'm speaking now of my direct neighborhood, living right next to a national frontier myself - the bavarian Untersberg and the austrian Untersberg - haha!

yatsek

yatsek - Jul 26, 2010 4:02 am - Voted 10/10

Re: An excellent and highly interesting page!!

Eric,
Thanks very much for your interest and comment. I couldn't agree more. You'll find the rest of the discussion here (below the pix)
Cheers,
Jacek

visentin

visentin - Jul 29, 2010 1:17 pm - Voted 10/10

just watched

the videos in full size on my TV (to which the computer is temporarily plugged). once more, congratulations for these magnificent films you made!

Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
Return to 'Chornohora' main page