Chorreras de Despeñalagua

Chorreras de Despeñalagua

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.10368°N / 3.25611°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The approach to this route is by car to Valverde de los Arroyos (Guadalajara).

Route Description


From Valverde de los Arroyos parking (1.240 m) traverse the nice village to its upper part, where a soccer ground is placed. After that the route to follow is the one that goes westward parallel to Arroyo (creek) de la Chorrera, do not follow the trail to the right that goes along Arroyo del Pueblo. The track suddenly becomes narrow and stony. After 30 minutes it splits into two; our path is the one ascending to the right, that crosses (1.385 m) Arroyo de la Praderuela, usually dry, and turns left (SW) toward Chorreras (waterfalls) de Despeñalagua upper part (1.400 m, 45 min). The most beautiful cascade is the low one, with 30 m it's one of the highest in Sistema Central.

Then traverse a meadow and a stream (1.475 m, 55 min). The trail turns left (S), surrounds a pinewood to the right and goes parallel to the stream Arroyo de la Pineda. The slope inclines in the steep riverbank, follow the path along box alike fields towards Fuente (drinking fountain) de la Pineda (1.770 m, 1 h 50 min) on the E side of Collado Perdices. On this point the trail turns left again upwards to the NE side of Ocejoncillo, a little shoulder of Ocejón. Finally climb the last steep slope, a zigzaging rocky trail up to the summital ridge. Follow it 20 m and reach the top of Ocejón (2.049 m, 2 h 30 min), where a survey point is placed.

The descent goes by the same route, 1 h 45'.

Essential Gear


Crampons and ice axe are recommended during winter, also wear warm clothes. Do not forgive a map, compass and altimeter; they're very necessary when fog or blizzard. Also carry at least 1 liter of water each person preferably in summer.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OcejónRoutes