Christmas Meadows/Stillwater Fork

Christmas Meadows/Stillwater Fork

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.71110°N / 110.8228°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This road to the trailhead leaves from Highway 150. The Christmas Meadows (gravel) Road leaves Highway 150 and heads SE from about .7 miles south of the Bear River Visitor Center and right at milepost 46. Follow the gravel road to the trailhead.



Route Description

From the trailhead at 8800 feet elevation, follow the trail south up Stillwater Fork. The trail is heavily used and is at a gentle grade until reaching a junction after 2.6 miles. Turn right (straight) and follow the Stillwater Fork Trail. After another 2.0 miles, there is another junction. Stay left and along Stillwater Fork. The trail to the right heads west to Kermshuh Lake. In just under 2 miles, the trail heads sharply west and crosses the creek (Stillwater Fork). Don't cross the creek; you will leave the trail here. There are several campsites in the area for a basecamp. The easiest route to Mount Agassiz is to head cross-country to the southeast and to an obvious col. Once on the ridge, follow it west to the summit. There are some teetering boulders, but nothing difficult. Since this is the same col used to climb Spread Eagle, consider climbing both on the same trip.

The round trip distance is 25 miles and usually takes 2 long or 3 shorter days.

Note: There are other variations possible such as ascending to the NW Ridge of Agassiz from Ryder Lake. It will not be covered here, but if you are interested, see the route on the Hayden Peak-Christmas Meadows Route added by SP member MrWasatch. This route up Hayden connects with the loop hike added to the Agassiz page from Gradwazoo, so you can put together your own route combination.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.