Chumash Peak from the Bishop Peak trail

Chumash Peak from the Bishop Peak trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.30798°N / 120.70636°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

The route begins on the Bishop Peak trail. The trail has three trailheads the most convenient is located at the end of Highland Drive.

Highland Drive Trailhead: From San Luis Obispo, take the exit for Route 1 (Santa Rosa street). Near the outskirts of town, turn left on Highland Drive and follow it to its end.

Route Description

Hike along the trail to a junction with the Felsman loop trail. Turn right and head out on this trial for about a half mile. Around here you reach a junction with a faded over trail, this junction is marked with a sign noting the direction of the Felsman Loop trail.

Turn HereLeave Trail Here


Head up on this faded over trail and quickly turn left toward an even fainter trail.

After a few hundred feet this trail disappears completely, from here head toward this rock outcropping.

Rocky outcropAim For this rock


Once at this outcrop you will have great view of Chumash Peak and a view of the rest of the route.

From the rocky outcropThe route from the outcrop


From here make your way toward the saddle trending slightly left. Head further left and head up the slopes of Chumash Peak. You should eventually intersect an old trail that cuts its way through the brush. From here simply follow this trail to the summit.

This is a relativity short hike, only slightly longer than Bishop Peak. Most people should be done in 2 hours or so.

This description is probably more detailed than necessary. One could probably make it to the summit a number of ways, however the route described here avoids bushwhacking.

Essential Gear

Shoes

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

jaybounds - Mar 23, 2023 7:01 pm - Voted 1/10

Chumash Peak is PRIVATE PROPERTY

For those that were not aware - or simply ignored the no trespassing signs, the property in which Chumash Peak resides is Private and does not allow hiking, trail walks, etc. The property has been owned by the same family for over 100 years and are from the old country where respect of property and boundaries are observed. The land is also home to Department of Health raised beef and patrolled by SLO County Sheriffs Department. There are many other beautiful areas to hike and explore within SLO county without infringing on privately protected space.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.