Climbers making their way up...

Climbers making their way up...

Climbers making their way up in the early morning light of 5-24-03
Dean
on Jan 31, 2004 10:30 pm
Image ID: 40243

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 31, 2004 11:54 pm - Hasn't voted

the suckiest part

This part of the South Side route always seems to be the worst to me. You've just come 2 miles up and are probably sweaty and starting to feel the climb. It's terrain where you might want to use an axe but then your back hurts from leaning over too much so you use trekking poles and hope not to slip. There isn't that much to see, all the cool stuff is around the other side of Crater Rock and it's just getting steeper and more miserable.



Thanks Dean! You've brought back such memories!

:- )

Dean

Dean - Feb 1, 2004 12:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: the suckiest part

You are so right, and then later on when you have to go back down it, it is even worst when you hit postholing conditions (like I did) and the snow is too wet to glissade on. Then you get the guys with the skis whizzing by you and you say, "next time, I'm taking my skis up"



Thanks Brian for your commentary. Funny though, I look at all these pics posted of Mt. Hood (almost 400 of them at the Mt. Hood page) and I want to climb it again. Sigh.......

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Feb 1, 2004 1:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: the suckiest part

I'm thinking eight climbs would cure you of that feeling! I never want to set foot on that mountain again, but I'll probably do it anyway someday for some unforeseeable reason.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Feb 1, 2004 2:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: the suckiest part

I'll bet if I put some really cool new photography equipment at the summit for you, Bob, I'd see you up there. ;- )



You are right, Dean. I hope to climb it a couple times this year as well. Hopefully, by another route at least once though.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4