Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77318°N / 0.14981°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10791 ft / 3289 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grand VignemaleC.Hount,Vignemale,P.Carré
The Pique Longue (3298m)C.Hount and G.Vignemale

The Pic du Clot de la Hount (3289m) is the second higher summit of Vignemale Massif. The peak have only 9 meters less of main summit, the Grand Vignemale or Pique Longue (3298m), and for this reason is a very unknown peak, but it’s a main summit according with the list of UIAA, and a very good complementary summit after the climb of the highest point of the massif.

The normal route (F+) goes across the South ridge from col of Cerbillona (3195m) but exists another route of rock-climb (P.D.+). from the summit of Grand Vignemale. Because the ascent from glacier of Ossoue to the summit is not very long, almost 20-30 minutes, generally the people descent to the Grand Vignemale to the glacier and they climb the Clot de la Hount across the South ridge (normal) in the same day. The collectors of 3000m have the easy continuation from col of Cerbillona to Cerbillona (3247m) and Pic Central (3235m) if it remain forces.

As curiosity for the collectors of 3000m peaks the Clot de la Hount have two small aiguilles in its North face that are in the list of UIAA as secondary summits, both are reachables only from a descent of the summit:
-Aguja Sup Clot de la Hount ( 3115m)
-Aguja Inf Clot de le Hount ( 3043m)
The long descent (NW) is a coulouir of II- exposed with a climb of II+ to every aiguille.

Getting There

Access from the French side by road is from the East-West autoroute E80 (Bayonne to Toulouse) and the National road N21 via Lourdes and the D821 / D920 to Cauterets or the D921 to Gavarnie. There are airports at Pau and Toulouse.

Access from Spanish side by road from the N.W. or W. of the country: across Irun to cross to France, taking the road to Bayonne and the same French way.

Access from Spanish side in the centre of Pyrenees (near Huesca): the best option in the entry in French territory across Col du Portalet or Col du Somport. In winter many days this road is closed by the snow (or it requires the use of chains). D918 to Argelès-Gazost, D12 and D921 to Gavarnie.

Red Tape

No permits are required. If you want to sleep in the Refuge of Bayssellance is advisable the reserve by phone

Camping

In the National Parks camping is normally not allowed, except in a place of more than 1h of walk of a refuge, but it's very difficult in the route from the North (Oulettes de Gaube) because it exist two refuges (Gaube and Bayssellance). The best option to camp is near Barrage d'Ossoue, in the South approach, with some places indicates near of the dam.

Refuge of Baysellance (2650m, 70 places)

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.