Coal Mine Canyon Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

gralpinist - Jul 10, 2010 11:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Small corrections...

Very nice trip report and photographs, Alex. I lived in Tuba City for 16 years, working at the US Public Health Service Hospital. Coal Mine Canyon was on our 'to do' list, as were many other areas of interest on the Navajo and Hopi reservations. Glen Canyon NRA is quite a bit longer drive than one hour...perhaps 2-1/2 hours. Tuba City is not quite in the middle of the Navajo Reservation, more on the Western side, as the reservation is very large, and extends into Utah and New Mexico. The best place for lodging would be in Tuba City, with Cameron (24 miles from Tuba) a back-up. For the lucky few, one can go to the edge of the canyon on a summer night, with a full moon and see a shimering image of what we called 'The Ghost'. I noticed that one website for Coal Mine Canyon mentioning that one needed a permit to go below the rim. Great trip report!

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Sep 22, 2010 3:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Small corrections...

Thanks so much for the feedback! Its 2.5 hours from Flagstaff to Glen Canyon NRA. Maybe there is some confusion cause I am talking about the portion of Glen Canyon NRA by Lees Ferry. I'll call it an hour and forty five. Thanks! Ill note that in the page. I haven't heard anything about a permit system (I know that there are for other areas though).

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Coal Mine Canyon' main page