Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Scott

Scott - Jan 1, 2017 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail

If you are on foot and you don't want to walk the cobblestone road from El Conejo, there is a trail for most of the way. In some places, there are several paths, but in one long section, the trail stays east of the road and is marked with arrows and a descent sign near the lowest radio tower. It appears that part of the trail was at one time built for mountain bikes, but it doesn't show any signs of recent mountain bike use.

One other comment:

You can't actually drive to the summit. The steep summit block has a steep concrete and handrail route to the summit, which you must climb.

There are also several trad and sport rock climbing routes on the summit block.

shamot63

shamot63 - Feb 18, 2022 6:41 am - Voted 10/10

Very good treking options

Best and easy way to Cofre de perote is via perote city,for that one ,who dont have own car .Hotels in Perote have resonable prices.Foor example one bed room with shower and toilet in hotel Anita cost 350,-pesos(possible pay by debit card).Plenty food options in city.For treking to Cofre Perote peak is best choice use taxi from Perote to El Conejo(price 150-200 pesos one way).I can recomend very serious taxi driver Geronimo +52 2821195510 his Whatsup.From El Conejo is good walking trail just follow steps of horses(local cowboys offer horse ride from Conejo to 4100m area near peak-plenty local turist use this possibilites).Walk isnt difficult for average turist.There and back take 7-8 hours.Catering is possible in more places near peak(cofe,food ,sweets etc).
Most local turists use cars or motobikes,but walking trail is much more quiet even 6 or 7 times go cross road.I was in that trek in january 2022,and on walking trail i meet only 3 walkers and plenty horse rides turists with local cowboys.Local people are very friendly,in El Conejo are some small shops with mini restaurants with food and cool drink ,they accept only cash.Way back from El Conejo you can use same taxi driver just text him in spanish on whatsup or by sms,he will bring you back in same price or sometime you can share local taxi with another turist.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Cofre de Perote' main page