Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Apr 13, 2010 9:00 am - Voted 10/10

Kids

I still haven't been to the top, but can recommend the trail as a great way to infect kids with a love of mountains. The Artist Point trail starts at treeline, with spectacular views of Baker, Shuksan, and fine meadows ans canyons between. Some fine glissade slopes will keep the kids wanting to return.

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Apr 13, 2010 10:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Kids

Yes, good point. It's an easy trail that's more of a mountain stroll than some lung- and leg-burner. The views don't get any better. I wish my kids cared about views. Oh, well, maybe someday!

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Apr 15, 2010 11:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Kids

I read somewhere that while adults are blown away by awesome scenery (and this area qualifies easily), smaller kids tune into the small stuff close up. The highpoint of a hike for my ten-year-old is stopping to play at the side of a stream or lake. And I remember my son as a toddler walking a mile or so of trail, then stopping to fixate on a douglas fir cone. It might have been the 2,000th one we'd passed that day, but it caught his attention and wouldn't let it go. That's why I mentioned the glissade slopes we stopped to play on. I could have hiked two or three times the distance without having to wait for the kids, but sliding on my butt with my 8-year-old's legs wrapped around my waist, and her screaming her head off with delight - well, we were all glad the kids came along.
My daughter still tells me she hates hiking, until she's out there doing it. Keep trying to trick them into enjoying themselves. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Coleman Pinnacle' main page