Como Lake Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.57770°N / 105.4859°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trailhead is somewhere along the Como Lake 4x4 road. The road is located north east of Alamosa. Drive east on Highway 160 about 25 miles to Colorado Highway 150. Go north on CO 150 for about 3 miles to a rough road that crosses a cattle guard and goes northeast directly toward Blanca Peak. Drive as far as your vehicle will take you. Most normal 4x4's can go about 5 miles. There are several places to park along the road. Be sure you get your vehicle off the road. Either auto camp or back pack to the lake. The best places to camp are found above Lake Como where there are many grassy meadows. Lots of water too.

Route Description

From where you park, hike up the road until it peters out. There is a fairly good trail to a set of cliff bands where trail segments take over. The best way past these cliffs is on the west side. Continue to the saddle between Blanca and Ellingwood. When the saddle is reached continue to the summit either on the ridge or slightly below. Ellingwood Point can be climbed from this point by following the ridge to the left. Both are frequently climbed on the same trip.

Essential Gear

Normal hiking gear

 

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.