Cone Peak (Peak 11,260)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68460°N / 111.0297°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11250 ft / 3429 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

"Cone Peak" is one of the peaks in the Western Uinta Mountains. It isn't named, nor does the peak have an elevation mark on the topo maps. Some sources label it as 11,250 feet as well. It is labeled as Kimberly Peak in the Western Uinta Backcountry Guide, and will called Cone Peak on this page. Even though it is not named, it is one of the more prominent peaks in the western section of the Uinta Mountains and is highly visible for miles around. The peak is a nice scramble and can be approached from almost all directions and from many trails. The western section of the Uintas doesn't have near as high peaks as the central sections, but the peaks are still interesting.

The Uinta Mountains are one of the few mountain ranges in North America that run east to west rather than north to south. Within the Uinta Mountains are about 2000 lakes, and some 900-1000 are full of trout. Along with the San Juans in Colorado, the Uintas have more contiguous area above timberline than any other area in the Continental United States. This is a beautiful area with many lakes, meadows, wildflowers, and some rugged peaks.

 Cone Peak  from the...Cone Peak from Smith and Morehouse Basin

Getting There

Upper Setting Trailhead

The Upper Setting Road takes of north off Highway 150 8.7 miles east of Kamas. The lower section of this gravel road is good for passenger cars, but the upper half of the road is suitable only to high clearence vehicles. There are many side tracks, but follow the main track to its end.

Shingle Creek Trailhead

The trailhead is at a signed parking lot located on the north side of Highway 150 10.1 miles east of Kamas.

Norway Flats Trailhead

The Norway Flats Road branches off the north side of Highway 150, 10.6 miles east of Kamas. There is a sign marking the road. The road is good for the first mile, and then it quickly deteriorates into a 4wd road. Follow the 4wd road north staying on the main road that is marked for 4wd's (staying away from the forks marked for ATV use). Near the end of the main road there is a junction. Turn right along a less used road and follow the road to its end. If you reach a large lake, you're in the wrong place. Turn around and backtrack a short distance to the last junction and follow the less used road to its end. At the end of the road is a vehicle barrier trench and a singpost without a sign (late 1990's). This old blocked off road is the beginning of the trail.

Crystal Lake Trailhead

Crystal Lake is reached from the Trial Lake spur road off Highway 150 25.7 miles east and north of Kamas. Follow the signs along the spur road to Crystal Lake. This gravel road is good for all vehicles.

Smith and Morehouse Trailhead

The trailhead is at the Ledge Fork Campground. From Oakley (State Route 32), turn east on the Weber Canyon Road. Follow this road east for about 12 miles to where the Smith and Morehouse Road turns south. Turn right (south) at this junction and follow this good gravel road past the Smith and Morehouse Reservior. The road ends at the Ledge Fork Campground and the trailhead.

Cone PeakCone Peak from the slopes of Long Mountain

Routes Overview

Upper Setting Route

This route begins at the East Upper Setting Trailhead, follows the trail to West Shingle Creek Lake, over a low pass to Erickson Basin, over Big Elk Pass, down to Big Elk Lake, along the trail east, and climbs Cone Peak via its SW ridge.

Shingle Creek Route

This is a longer vaiation of the Upper Setting Route, but the road to the trailhead is good for all vehicles. The trail joins up with the Upper Setting Route near West Shingle Creek Lake.

Norway Flats Route

This is the shortest route to Cone Peak. The trail heads north to Big Elk Lake, at which point it joins the Upper Setting Route.

Crystal Lake Route

This is the route from the east. From Crystal Lake, the trail heads west over Watson Pass, west to Long Lake, west to Island Lake. The easiest route to the summit of Cone Peak is to swing around to the SW ridge, but you can take a more direct route.

Smith and Morehouse Route

This route goes up the main Smith and Morehouse Trail southeast to near Island Lake. From near Island Lake, this route joins the Crystal Lake route as descibed above.

 Cone Peak  from Island LakeCone Peak from Island Lake

Guidebook

More details about the area can be found in the book Western Uinta Backcountry Guide, including many routes to the summit, and hiking trails to the many lakes, and fishing information. Just send me a PM if you want to purchase the book.

SP members can have the book for 1/2 price, and there is no shipping cost.
Western Uinta Backcountry GuideGuidebook


Red Tape

For the southern routes (all trailheads above, except for the Smith and Morehouse Trailhead), and for traveling Highway 150, there is now a $3 per day use fee for parking along the highway. There is no red tape for the Smith and Morehouse Trailhead.

When To Climb

July through September is the normal hiking season here. All trailhead roads above are closed in winter. The best route in winter might be to snowshoe or ski up the Norway Flats road from Highway 150. In winter, the round trip distance would be about 20 miles, so it would be a two day trip.

Fire Lake and Cone PeakFire Lake and Cone Peak

Camping

There are many campgrounds along Highway 150, but they can be crowded and full on summer weekends. There is also a campground at Smith and Morehouse Reservoir. In addition to campgrounds, there are several primitive camping sites on each route described below.

Upper Setting Route

There are campsites along the Upper Setting Road. In the backcounrty, there are some good campsites along the way to East Shingle Creek Lake and near a lily pad pond. There are good campsites at East Shingle Creek Lake. Erickson Basin has many really good campsites. BIg Elk Lake has some campsites on it's southwest and east sides.

Shingle Creek Route

Excellent campsites are located most of this trail.

Norway Flats Route

There are some campsites along the Norway Flats Road. Good campsites are found along the trail and in the meadow .5 miles from the trailhead. This route joins the Upper Setting Route near Big Elk Lake (see above).

Crystal Lake Route

There are many good backcountry campsites throughout the area. Long Lake campsites are a bit over-used, so you may want to look elsewhere. Island Lake is very popular as well, and can be crowded.

Smith and Morehouse Route

Large campsites are a bit scarce on the lower section of the trail. The upper basin has some good campsites, but some of the smaller streams can dry up in late summer. There is still water around, but you will have to leave the trail and head a ways west to find it.

 Cone Peak  from Island Lake....Island Lake is a pretty place to camp, but is over-used as a campsite.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the ranger station in Kamas for current road and trail conditions. Their phone number is 801-783-4338.

WEATHER FORECAST FOR WESTERN UINTA MOUNTAINS

Here are some average highs and lows from Mirror Lake at 10,190 feet :

MONTHHIGH LOW
JAN230
FEB252
MAR296
APR3814
MAY4722
JUN5731
JUL6738
AUG6537
SEP5730
OCT4619
NOV3210
DEC264



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.