Copeland Mountain Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
RyanS

RyanS - Sep 25, 2007 6:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Mount Clarence King

Not sure if you'd want to incorporate this or not, Fabio, but an old name for this mountain was Mount Clarence King, named for a geologist and mountaineer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_King
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=108:3:741150428249280858::NO::P3_FID:205007

I noticed this on an old diagram on campus at DU. It points out the peaks you can see and the distances to them. I was like "Clarence King"? What peak is that? :)

brenta

brenta - Sep 26, 2007 10:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mount Clarence King

Thanks, Ryan! I'll add a toponymy note. Any way to tell how old that diagram at DU is?

RyanS

RyanS - Sep 27, 2007 6:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Mount Clarence King

I don't know, but it is right outside of the oldest building (1890s) on campus. I'll let you know if I find out someday.

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Sep 1, 2010 8:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Actually

Clarence King was the name given by RMNP superintendent Roger Toll for what now is Isolation Peak

brenta

brenta - Sep 12, 2010 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Actually

This is what Roger Toll wrote in "Mountaineering in Rocky Mountain National Park" (1919):

"Prior to the publication of the United States Geological Survey map, Mount Copeland was known as Mount Clarence King, in honor of the eminent geologist who was the first director of the United States Geological Survey and the author of a classic entitled 'Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada.' The change of name is regretted by most people who knew the peak as Mount Clarence King."

I have read about Toll's naming of Isolation Peak in Foster's guidebook, and I have no reason to doubt that account. In view of the above quote and of Toll's note in the same work "that the map shows an unnamed point over 13,000 feet in elevation a mile west of Mahana Peak," it appears that his intent was to redress the wrong done with the naming of Copeland in 1911.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Copeland Mountain' main page