Crest Ridge Direct

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.43490°N / 107.0853°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


see "getting there..."

Route Description


follow the same directions as per the "West Ridge." As the trail to the water tank peters out ascend the West Ridge and drop down into the watershed to the north. Then, take a direct line up the slope to the obvious ridge in front of you that curls down from the summit.

You will gain elevation rapidly and must avoid thick vegetation. We stayed just to the left side of a talus slope. Once you reach the crest ridge proper just go on up. The views here are spectacular to the Plains of San Agustin to the southwest, the Rio Salado to the south and the Monzano and Sandia Mountains to the northeast.

There are several class 5 scrambles along the ridge - one in particular looks imposing but is easily negotiated by turning the large buttress to the right up a vegetated gully. The last section of the ridge is quite nice. Enjoy the views but be careful of the vegetation in this relatively pristine area.

We descended the same route but then took a more direct route down the watershed adjacent to the large red rock escarpment back to the vehicle. Lovely bushwacking...

Essential Gear


pants may be preferred over shorts due to the prickly nature of the plants.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.