Cross Couloir Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Andy

Andy - Jul 1, 2006 10:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice work!

It would be really great if you could find a photo that depicts this: "Once you reach the Bowl of Tears, look up towards the mountain. You will see a large slabby cliff, that looks like it leads over to the face below the cross, and above that you will see some grassy slopes that meet with some rocks above it. You need to climb west from the Bowl of Tears and angle north up onto the steep, grassy slopes to the point where the grass meets the rocks of the upper part of the mountain. Once you reach this, you need to scramble for maybe 10 to 20 feet and you will see the entrance to the cross."

Either one you took, or one somebody else took. It sounds a bit tricky to find and a photo would really help.

Also, would you ski it?

crzyjt

crzyjt - Jul 1, 2006 10:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work!

Yeah, I wish I had a camera, but my camera was smashed up in Conundrum Couloir a few days before this trip. The correct way to go is the easiest looking way to go. We were a little unsure if it was the right way until we got there, that's why I tried to put a good description in there. Perhaps someone will grab a photo when they head up there and add it. As far as skiing would go, in good conditions, sure, especially if the approach had snow. It would be a little sketchy with the cliff at the bottom, but the slope is pretty mellow right above the cliff. Right now, there is a huge v shaped runnel down the middle, so it wouldn't be any fun to ski anymore this year.

crzyjt

crzyjt - Jul 1, 2006 11:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work!

I found a picture that had the slopes on it you need to climb. Added in the route description.

sshankle

sshankle - Jul 3, 2006 4:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Page!

This route needed a page. You might consider attaching the route pics off the Holy Cross peak page. I think that will beef it up a little until I can get up there next year and take some more pics. ;)

Ctilbe

Ctilbe - Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Cross Creek Map

Could someone provide a rudimentary map of the Cross creek trail? I was up there this weekend and there was no Cairn and all along the main trail past cross creek there were "Closed for Restoration" signs. We eventually found some sort of trail, but it definitely did not follow the creek, but instead followed West of the Cross creek. We hit a marshy area and lost the trail and ended up following Cairns through a treacherous Boulder field high above Lake Patricia. We lost 3 hours scrambling on this Boulder field. In your description you say to stay left of the rock slab from Lake Patricia, but we couldn't see Lake Patricia from the trail, until we were cliffed out on the boulder field looking back North. From the trail above (South of) the marsh we had to descend back (north and east) to the Lake. A map of the trail would have been very helpful.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Cross Couloir' main page