Crossbow

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.23579°N / 116.968°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crossbow is located on the South East face of Castle Rock Towers in the large left facing dihedral that marks the right (eastern) border of the south east face. It is formed by the south face and the Black Tower, a large chunk of rock that is separated from the rest of the formation and forms a large crack which creates the main crack on the upper section of the route, and the 5.6 Black Tower Crack on the East Face.
Crossbow

Getting There

Follow directions on the main page to the formation. Crossbow is the crack system in the prominent left-facing dihedral on the south-east face.

Route Description

Rule of thumb for this climb: use every available surface to you, holds and gear usually occur right when you need them but not always right in front of you. Climb up the first 10 feet or so on solid but reachy (for me at 5'6") face moves to the left of the large crack. Reach a lower angle gully system where gear placements become available on right wall.
First Gear
Ascend the gully to a flat stance at the base of a large "chimney". There a twin, perpindicular cracks in the rick corner that provide a variety of hand holds and gear placements. Also, there are significant foot placements on the right wall, and a sidepull-rib on the left wall. After about 10-15 feet of climbing move to large, down-cut holds at the top of the right wall and top out on the Black Tower. Use the two anchors at the top of tower. Someone should bring a wrench up there and tighten the left bolt, it is a little loose.
Descending

Essential Gear

50m Rope
One each of #1-#3 Camalot
4-5 Stoppers, no larger than a #11
Slings/etc. for the gear you place
Lockers and cordelette for the bolts at the top

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.