Cuberant Lake Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.73120°N / 110.9082°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To reach the Lofty Lake/Pass Lake Trailhead, drive Highway 150 32 miles north, and east of Kamas or 46 miles south of Evanston. There is a sign that marks the trailhead (west side of the Highway).


Route Description

From the trailhead (at 10,100 feet elevation), find the trail heading west. There is a sign pointing the way to Lofty Lake. After heading west a short distance, there is a junction. The trail to the left (east) heads back to Highway 150 just accross from Pass Lake, so turn right. Continue west from the junction and reach another junction after just a short distance. There is a sign at the junction. Turn right and take the Lofty Lake Trail. After another .5 miles, Reids Meadow (just below 10,000 feet elevation) is reached. There is a spectacular view of Reids Peak and Bald Mountain from this meadow. From Reids Meadow, the trail climbs uphill to the north. Here's where you will need a map and you will have to pay close attention to landmarks and to your where-abouts. Just after two ponds are reached, look very carefully for a lesser-used trail heading to the west. It is hard to find and the junction is not signed. You may miss it. This lesser used path of sorts, more like a cross-country route, heads to Cuberant Lake after 1.5 miles. Keep a close eye on the map! The trail/route heads northwest around Mount Marsell from the Lofty Lake Trail. The hard to find trail then climbs over a minor ridge and heads north to an un-named lake just before reaching Cuberant Lake (10,350 feet). Cuberant Lake is in a very beautiful area and there are six other un-named lakes in the area. From the lake, you can either climb the slopes straight southeast and to the summit, or head west and slightly south up a gully to the ridge-top From the ridge-top, the follow the ridge south to the summit of Mount Marsell. Round trip distance is about seven miles.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.