Cuillin Ridge Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
asmrz

asmrz - Nov 3, 2023 5:06 pm Date Climbed: Jun 10, 2014

The Spur, Sgurr an Fheadain  Sucess!

My wife Penelope and I scrambled up The Spur route on Sgurr an Fheadain, a good looking peak when viewed from the popular Fairy Pools area. The route is rated Grade 2 in Scottish Scrambling Guide to Cuillin. We felt it was equivalent to class 3 or 4th of the YDS system. We loved the scramble. Recommend this fully.

asmrz

asmrz - Nov 3, 2023 4:55 pm Date Climbed: Jun 18, 2014

Clach Glas to Bla Bheinn Traverse  Sucess!

Penelope and I scrambled this 5.5 mile long traverse on June 18, 2014. We thought this was one of Scotland's most magnificent ridge traverses. Great adventure in alpine scale and ambience. Rated Moderate/Difficult in Scottish system, we would rate it about class 4. About 3,000 feet of gain.

asmrz

asmrz - Nov 3, 2023 2:43 pm Date Climbed: Jun 15, 2014

Dubhs Ridge, class 3/4 on fantastic Gabro.  Sucess!

The warden of Glen Brittle hut Tim Winter (very kindly) drove us to Elgol in early morning of June 15, 2014. We took the Bella Jane Zodiac boat across Loch Coruisk (about 25 minutes ride) and from there scrambled up the 3,000+ feet of magnificent Gabro rock to the summit of Sgur Dubh Mor. From there we returned to Glen Brittle hut, which felt like many miles. The trip took us 9 1/2 hours from the toe of the buttress to the hut. We thought this was absolutely great scramble, one of the best we have done anywhere.

mountainmanjohn

mountainmanjohn - Apr 3, 2016 12:57 am Date Climbed: Sep 5, 2015

Back for more  Sucess!

A few more peaks and many other Skye locations on a week of mixed fun. Caves, Scrambles, evening Whisky's and beach breakfasts, with Hamish.

viktor vaughn

viktor vaughn - Jan 29, 2015 3:13 pm Date Climbed: Jun 7, 2014

entire route from south to north  Sucess!

Did the entire ridge. Amazing route & views. We came from London and took a week off, which is necessary since the weather is often cloudy, if not worse.

jasano2

jasano2 - Sep 16, 2012 10:56 am Date Climbed: Sep 5, 2012

One of the best  Sucess!

One of the best places to be in Scotland. We got to the ridge via Fionn Choire. I will not rest until i complete the Cuillins in it's entirety.

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Apr 15, 2009 11:09 am Date Climbed: Apr 12, 2009

Big and Beautiful

An absolutely fantastic mountain range! It takes me 13 hours from my house to the Cuillins and I'm already thinking of my return visit. The weather was grim for the first couple of days and scuppered our chances of doing the whole ride. Despite this I completed two sections of the ridge, and discovered that each of the fine valleys offer fine days out in the hills.

MattGreene - Aug 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Main Ridge 08  Sucess!

What an amazing set of mountains! I hiked in via Glen Sligachan, and spent 2 days under a rock above Loch Coriusk waiting for the summits to clear. Eventually they did, and I was able to complete the main ridge over a comfortable 2 days. It was scrambling at its finest, miles of exposed climbing at a level one notch below what you'd need a rope for. I skipped Bastiers Tooth and didn't hit the Pinnacle Ridge, so I've got an excuse to return some day.

Also, I managed to find a partner for a technical day linking the Cioch Direct, Arrow, and Integrity routes. Justifiably classics.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Apr 18, 2008 8:21 am Date Climbed: May 20, 1993

2nd Attempt  Sucess!

Ken, Colin & Johnnie went back to Skye in '93, this time although we took the same route to the western end of the ridge, we ascended Gars Bhein at the end of the day arriving on the summit at 7:15pm. Next day we set off around 4:00am after a cold, rocky bivvy on a ledge and finally arrived on Sgurr nan Gillean at 8:15pm. Getting back to the Sligachan campsite via the "tourist" route took another 3 hours so we missed out on a pint again!

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Apr 18, 2008 8:11 am Date Climbed: May 29, 1992

1st attempt

Starting on May 26, Andy, Trevor, Ken, Colin & Johnnie walked from our campsite at Sligachan over Drum Hain to Loch Scavaig and a bivvy on the side of Gars Bheinn near a small newt filled pond. Next day we topped Gars Bheinn at 5:00am and set off along the ridge. At 10:20 we arrived on Alasdair and continued along the ridge via the Collie ledge on Sgurrr Mhic Coinnich. After moving over the other tops, we arrived at Bidean Drum nan Ramh where the party split up. Andy and Trevor continued along the ridge and took a second bivvy. Ken, Colin and Johnnie were knackered and decided to descend into Harta Corrie. After the descent and a 5 mile walk peppered with halucinations, we arrived back at Sliggy at 11:20pm too late for a beer.
On the 29th May we returned via Pinnacle Ridge on Sgurr nan Gillean and went back along the ridge a far as Bruach na Frith. From there we decended via Choire a'Bhasteir back to Sliggy in time for a beer(s). Trevor and Andy had continued the previous day and completed the ridge.

Darek - Jul 28, 2007 6:30 pm Date Climbed: May 1, 2007

Great mountains.  Sucess!

I love Scottish weather - a week without a single cloud!

tphubbard

tphubbard - Apr 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Over the years  Sucess!

I have had a few great days on the ridge and have climbed most of the peaks - often a few at the time. I need to do the full traverse however - this is a long term "itch" of mine.

camerona91

camerona91 - Nov 24, 2006 4:45 am Date Climbed: May 29, 2006

Route: InPin and Sgurr nan Eag  Sucess!

Climbed InPin and Sgurr nan Eag (probably butchered the spelling!). The weather was atrocious when we were on Sgurr nan Eag-10m visibility and high winds. The little waterfalls were blowing uphill! It was a bit wet and windy when we did the InPin-got very cold at the belay ledge. My cousin (12) came as well for his first alpine climb! A great time though. I'll be back to do the whole ridge!

Cautious

Cautious - Jun 24, 2005 10:07 am

Route Climbed: Glenbrittle to Sligachan Date Climbed: Jun 91, Jun 93, June 98  Sucess!

Fantastic two day traverse, high points being the In Pin and Baisteir Tooth.

mountainmanjohn

mountainmanjohn - Jan 11, 2005 11:35 am

Route Climbed: Sgur Nan Gillian then round ridge Date Climbed: may 1995  Sucess!

We visited Skye for the first time. Started at Sgurr Nan Gillian (great peak) and moved round half the ridge over three days.

Great scrabling. Still some of the best I've done.

Iain Munro

Iain Munro - Aug 10, 2004 3:28 pm

Route Climbed: Sgurr nan Gillean(via the Tourist Route), Am Basteir & Bruach na Frithe Date Climbed: 2nd August 2004  Sucess!

Great day, my first visit to Skye. We were very lucky with the weather but not so lucky with the midges on our return to Sligachan!!

Pontius - Jul 15, 2004 6:21 am

Route Climbed: Traverse from Glenbrittle as far as An Dorus Date Climbed: 8th July 2004  Sucess!

Great weather for partial traverse - sun and views all day - probably why we went too slow to complete full traverse - that and the fact we were a large party of 6.



However, great day, TD gap was fun and just the best grade 3* scrabling on the ridges.



Spent next day climbing routes around Cioch stone - virtually alone - only one other pair - fantastic.



Go to the Cuillin - you will not be disappointed - unless of course it rains, which it will - and even then its good!

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Cuillin Ridge' main page