Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.99070°N / 121.471°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Del Campo Peak - A Photo Trip Report

As an avid scrambler, I've had my eye on Del Campo Peak for several years now and I was finally able to make it up to the summit.  It did not disappoint!  Gothic Basin is beyond beautiful, and the scramble up Del Campo was everything I had hoped for.  This area is quite the drive for me so I set the alarm for 2:40am and hit the road by 3:20 for the 3+ hour drive to the trailhead.  I wanted to get an early start since it was supposed to be hot, and hot it was!  I got to the trailhead about 6:30 and it was already pretty warm.  I had brought a bike for the first mile on the old road which was nice.  After ditching the bike I hit the trail at a good pace and made it to Gothic Basin in a couple hours.  The place is stunning!

Weden Creek Trail view W
Weden Creek Trail view W

Gothic Peak Tarn Reflection
Gothic Peak Tarn Reflection




Gothic Basin
Gothic Basin - Sheep Gap Mountain

Gothic Basin
Gothic Basin - section of trail


As you enter Gothic Basin approaching the pond, the terrain gets really rocky and slabby... I love it!  Some of my favorite terrain.  Foggy pond is fairly nice as well, and there was a group camping there but I didn't linger for pictures.  The real gem was just ahead!  Foggy Lake with Gothic and Del Campo Peaks!

Foggy Lake - Gothic and Del Campo
Foggy Lake - Gothic and Del Campo

Gothic Peak Reflection
Gothic Peak Reflection

Foggy Lake and Gothic Peak
Foggy Lake and Gothic Peak

Foggy Lake from Del Campo
Foggy Lake from Del Campo


These photos follow the route around Foggy Lake to the SE ridge of Del Campo Peak and part way up to the talus / boulder field.  From there route climbs some class 3 rock up a gully to the saddle where the final summit block is reached.  Some climbers can be seen here on descent at about 10 o'clock (upper left).

Del Campo Scramble Section
The start of the scramble section

Del Campo Summit Block
Del Campo Summit Block



The views from the summit are stunning!


Del Campo Summit View NW
Del Campo Summit View NW

Del Campo Summit View S
Del Campo Summit View S


Del Campo Summit Panorama
Del Campo Summit Panorama


As I said, this trip was everything I had hoped for except the 90 degree heat.  I took my time on this one.  8+ hours round trip with multiple photo breaks, 45 minutes on the summit, 30+ minutes taking to other hikers, 30 minutes trying to fix my water filter which I FINALLY did saving me from dehydration on a hot hot day... I had planned to do Gothic the same day but after experiencing the beauty of Gothic Basin I decided to save it for later so I'd have an excuse to come back here in the near future.  I just love it up here!  One final photosphere from Foggy Lake.


Foggy Lake Photosphere
Foggy Lake Photosphere



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Sep 10, 2015 5:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful pictures!

Glad you made the effort to get to such a marvelous place. Thanks for sharing.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Sep 11, 2015 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful pictures!

Thanks, and you're welcome! I was super impressed with the area, so much so I didn't summit Gothic when I was there so I'd have reason to go back soon! :)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Del Campo PeakTrip Reports