Deming Drop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.60200°N / 106.1846°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Advanced Snow Climb; Extreme Ski Descent, D10 R3
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Deming Drop is the north-facing couloir on Deming Mountain. It can bee seen from Red Peak B and Red Buffalo Pass. Deming Drop was named by Stan Wagon and first skied by Stan Wagon and Katie Larson in 1999. Since then, only three other parties have been known to ski it.
 Deming Mountain  & Deming Drop"Deming Mountain" & Deming Drop from Red Peak B.

Getting There

Exit #205 "Silverthorne, Dillon" off of Interstate 70.
Go north on CO 9.
Take the first left onto Wildernest Road.
Drive 3.3 miles to parking on left.
This is the Buffalo Cabin (Ryan Gulch) Trailhead.

Route Description

Follow the Buffalo Cabin Trail 0.5 miles to a four way intersection. Go straight at the intersection on the Willow Creek Trail to the base of Silver Couloir. Drop into Willow Ceek and meet up with the Gore Trail and follow it west of Red Buffalo Pass. From Red Buffalo Pass, Deming Drop cannot be missed. Descend the west side of Red Buffalo Pass. Climb the couloir to the summit. The maximum slope angle is 45 degrees and is rated as a D10 on the D Scale.
Deming Drop via Red Buffalo PassDeming Drop via Red Buffalo Pass. Click to enlarge.


Roundtrip Distance: 12 miles
Elevation Gain: ~5162'

Extra Credit

This route can easily be linked with a climb of Red Peak B.

Essential Gear

Ice axe and crampons.

External Links

Stan Wagon's Page


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.