Descending the gully at the...

Descending the gully at the...

Descending the gully at the top of the cliff band, Chief Head's Northwest Ridge route. September, 2000.
McHenrys Peak in the distance.
Nelson
on Oct 1, 2005 12:12 pm
Image ID: 128903

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
eazyelion

eazyelion - Feb 5, 2006 4:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Impressive!!!

I'd really like to attempt that route sometime. Is it pretty straight forward from Stoneman Pass?

Nelson

Nelson - Feb 6, 2006 12:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Impressive!!!

Yes, it's pretty straight forward, but long, and you have to drop down about 300 feet from Stone Man Pass. Check out brenta's excellent route photo and page. My shot was taken somewhere above where his yellow line goes behind the butress.



It's Glacier Gorge and the views in all directions are superb!

eazyelion

eazyelion - Feb 6, 2006 9:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Impressive!!!

Hey thanks for the info. The only thing about that route is the treacherous ascent to Stoneman Pass when there is snow. The one time I was there and climbed McHenrys, I ended up taking a scary slide down a snow slope on the way down! Fortunately, my brother caught me before I picked up too much speed. We ended up ok. I've climbed Chiefs Head from the very long approach on the west slopes from Wild Basin. Not exactly a real exciting route, but the views are tremendous. That's why your route caught my eye.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3