Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72223°N / 96.49292°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1503 ft / 458 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A road off 5th Street in Garretson leads you to a tree hidden canyon known as Devil’s Gulch. It is a natural chasm which features scenic rock formations of red quartzite and is the home of the famous jump of outlaw Jesse James.

While standing at the foot bridge in Devil’s Gulch, imagine the outlaw Jesse James riding as fast as his horse can gallop because a posse from Northfield, Minnesota is hot on his trail. Jesse approaches the chasm, quickly summarizes the situation, and successfully coaxes his horse to jump the canyon and therefore escapes the posse. This legend happened in the Fall of 1876 where the foot bridge is now located.

"Don't let the water below the bridge fool you," cautions a sign. "There are areas in the canyon reported to be so deep, they are bottomless. Just under the bridge is known as Bottomless Pit. Many years ago a 600 foot plumb line was lowered and no bottom was found."

Getting There

I-90 exit 410. Turn north onto Hwy 105 for seven miles. Turn left onto Dows St/Hwy 122 for a half-mile, then right onto Main Ave. through town. Turn right onto 5th St., then a quick left through the gate into Devil's Gulch Park. Drive down the dirt road; the bridge across the Gulch is on the left side of the parking lot.

Routes

Valley Of The Gods:
a small opening surrounded by towering cliffs and cracks. Some fun routes here be creative.

House Of Achilles:
From the Valley Of The Gods keep following the path West you come to a dead end. This is House Of Achilles. Many Fun short Routes.

Exit Cracks:

Once you arrive in the Valley Of The Gods. Look to your left and you can miss the many Pillars that shoot upward. Fun Chimney Climbs.