Diablo Canyon Comments

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Andino

Andino - Nov 16, 2006 3:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo !

Lots of pictures, lots of details : as good as as usual ;o)

Dustiano

Dustiano - Nov 16, 2006 4:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page!

I think we can expand a lot on this if we want. The routes and walls are quite numerous.

Last time I was there with Dan the Jones there was a film company shooting a movie. They would watch us climb on their breaks... a bunch of cowboy-looking actors saying "ya'll gonna climb that?" Dan can say what movie it was if he remembers because I don't.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Nov 16, 2006 4:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great page!

They were filming when I went down there a couple weeks ago. I was curious and looked it up. It's called 3:10 to Yuma, and has Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. They made the papers by killing a horse in a stunt recently.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Nov 16, 2006 5:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page!

thanks Dustino..I agree, tons of stuff, can't wait to get back...jfrish, how in the hell did they manage that? They filmed "All the Pretty Horses" there as well, guess that is some sad irony.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great page!

Bumped it into the truck with the camera, I think. It was a trained stunt-horse, knew its business. Freak accident.

rpc

rpc - Nov 16, 2006 9:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page Dow!

Did you have a guidebook for this? Never even heard of this place before.
Good stuff.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Guidebook

I'm pretty sure it gets fairly thorough treatment in Falcon Guides' Climbing New Mexico book (not sure of exact title offhand).

rpc

rpc - Nov 16, 2006 10:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Guidebook

Thank you. got that one but I guess never looked thru. it thoroughly.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Nov 16, 2006 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page Dow!

yes Radek, Dennis Jackson. We could not believe it when we found it....always a little bored in Santa Fe, running up and down the small mountains east of town...would be cool to do in the spring or fall....don't know when we will ever get back, but I recommend it for sure...I was shocked how many routes were essentially so close to town....cheers

sunnysummit

sunnysummit - Nov 30, 2006 1:31 am - Voted 10/10

Other Stuff

Before climbing was a part of my life I spent much time in Diablo Canyon and if anyone is interested there are some pretty enormous caves on the south side of the canyon a short distance up. After crawling through a horizontal slot they open up into a grand room and eventually wind down to the valley floor. Also the areas in and around the canyon are pretty much a free for all (at least before the paved roads and sprawl of million dollars homes) and it's not unusual to hear sporadic volleys of small arms fire, fireworks, loud trucks, late night bonfire parties and the sort. It's New Mexico, that's why we go!

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Dec 12, 2006 12:34 am - Voted 10/10

Mini-series

It was a TV mini series called "Into the West", not only did they film in there they even went as far as laying down fake railroad tracks in the middle of the canyon, with a fake train and everything. It was pretty interesting.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Nov 24, 2009 12:24 pm - Voted 10/10

guidebook...

I think that someone should write a new guidebook.
The Falcon Guide is way outdated, they added so many new routes, and some of those are bolted now.
Jemez Rock by Marc Beverly is outdated as well.
The best information for current routes is on Los Alamos climbing website -
http://www.losalamos.com/diablo/default.asp
and also on mountain project.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Diablo Canyon' main page