Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 5, 2012 6:33 pm - Voted 10/10

I so regret...

That I visited N. Thailand and didn't climb a single peak. I get mad at myself, wondering: WHY did I do that???

Great page, Chad!
Sarah

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 5, 2012 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I so regret...

LOL... Surely you had other things to keep you busy no? When did you visit and what'd you see? I hope you at least visited a few wats while you were there and maybe a waterfall. And caught an elephant show too. They are fantastic!

But not even a visit to Doi Inthanon? Shame shame.

Thanks so much Sarah!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 5, 2012 7:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I so regret...

Sure, we did the Wat & Bhat tours... We rode elephants, brought home an elephant painting, drank gallons of beer, sweated to death in the tropical heat, got massages almost every night, floating market, royal barges, mountain tribal visits, ate BBQ rat. Hmmm, maybe I need to post a pic of the BBQ rat, it was absolutely delicious!!!

Sarah

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 5, 2012 7:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I so regret...

Wow... I missed out on the rat. I'll definitely have to investigate that next time. I was talked into trying some soup once that gave me a puzzled look. It appeared like it had maggots or something in it. I reluctantly took a small spoonful... with just one of the maggot-looking things, and nearly hurled. It was maggots. And it was not good.

Vertebrates I can deal with though!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 5, 2012 7:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I so regret...

Here ya go, brother. I didn't know where to post these on SP, so I'll share them via Google Picasa:

More valuable than chicken, a hell of a lot tastier than cuy. I introduce to you the rice patty rat! Yum! Seasoned correctly, it is scrumptious!

https://plus.google.com/photos/110653661368462154889/albums/5807489861366577585?authkey=CLPpv4TXn7H8ygE

Sarah

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 5, 2012 7:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I so regret...

Surely you tried the "jumping shrimp salad," though, right???

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 6, 2012 11:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I so regret...

OMG they didn't even cut the tails or heads off? I think it'd be a quite normal and tasty meal if they did... I suppose you lose the magic in that case though.

And this is the first I've heard of this jumping shrimp salad. Had some raw ones on the beach but they had been freshly perished. Something for my next trip!

Scott

Scott - Dec 2, 2012 11:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page

Nice page on a Thai mountain. Another peak I have to climb someday.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Dec 3, 2012 11:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page

Thanks Scott. The peak (and really all of northern Thailand) is a great place to take the family. I'm sure they'd all have a blast if you get the chance. Thanks for the comment.
Chad

Morgan1132 - Mar 13, 2016 9:17 am - Voted 10/10

Great Page

I went and climbed this recently and decided to try and go myself without a guide as they only offer an overnight option. The info on this page was very helpful.

I would recommend that anyone of moderate fitness could complete this in 1 day. It took me around 5 hours but that was moving at a fair clip. Even taking your time and stopping regularly the round trip wouldn't take longer than 7 hours. Sleeping under the stars near the top would be nice and using a guide will put some money into the local economy but I was time poor and was happy going myself.

The trek itself is very picturesque and has great views throughout. Long steep slog for the first 60-90 minutes and then you meander through the valley until you climb steeply for the last 30 minutes or so to the true summit. Visibility was poor due to smoke when we were there but was still very beautiful. Highly recommended

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Doi Chiang Dao' main page