East Face Direct Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.30214°N / 118.65635°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mixed
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: AI3
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

This is an excellent winter route that follows a zigzag couloir up the center of the Basin's East Face.

The route can be divided into three distinct parts based on the zigzags: lower, middle, and upper.

Starting from the basin, climb up the cone that leads into the couloir that is in the center of the face. This is the lower part of the route.

Note: The middle of the route is obscured from most views. 

Depending on snow depth, several 4th class rock bands will have to be climbed.

When climbed in February 2015, the entrance to the upper part of the route involved AI2+ steep ice for 40+ feet.

Unnamed Image
The route goes up the heart of Basin's East Face.

History

This route may have a different name, but I cannot find anyone else who has climbed it or knows of anyone who has climbed it. If you have any information, please let me know.


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.