East Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.09350°N / 116.05451°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The East Gully route is the Eastern rock gully leading up to the southern flanks of the peak. From the main wash directly West of Utah Trail, the peak can be seen from the mouth of the gully.

This route is approximately 2.6 miles RT and offers 1,100 feet of elevation gain.

Route Description

Start at the North Entrance Station, then head NW to connect with the main wash hugging the hills. Go North at the first main 3-way junction and look West until the rocky tower is visible. Go up the main gully directly East of Joshua Mountain for approximately 1,000 feet. From there, it is a short scramble to the top, but the way to climb the peak is yours to choose once at the base. There are many variations ranging from Class 3 to Class 5 climbing. (The NW path offers the least amount of resistence, from what I know).

The summit offers views of the city of Twentynine Palms and the Mojave National Preserve mountains to the North, Twentynine Palms Mountain and the Pinto & Coxcomb Mountains to the East, and the Pinto Mountains to the South and West. There is a ~200 ft. nearly vertical drop to the South of the summit. There is also a summit register at the top.

On The Way Up

 
Joshua Mountain
 
 
Joshua Mountain
 

 
Joshua Mountain
 

Summit Views

 
Joshua Mountain
 
 
Joshua Mountain
 
 
Joshua Mountain
 
 
Joshua Mountain
 


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.