Viewing: 1-10 of 10
gjagiels

gjagiels - Aug 7, 2007 10:29 am - Voted 10/10

Good page!

Nice to see this range is represented, a small but very cool place, I'm definately planning on checking out some of the other peaks here - Humboldt Peak, access isn't easy, lots of private property... Aside from the Angel Lake area, the rest of the range really secluded!

Greg

rayray

rayray - Aug 7, 2007 10:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good page!

Thank you! That area, in the middle of the desert, is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, access can be a issue, especially if you don't have 4WD. Do you get out that way often?

gjagiels

gjagiels - Aug 13, 2007 11:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Good page!

I have just visited several peaks in the area, (I'm in Salt Lake), each time I can't believe how nice it is and just want to head right back, I'm going to try to visit again in the fall, hopefully see some colors :-)

Greg

rayray

rayray - Aug 15, 2007 9:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good page!

I agree, that area is nice....and very colorful in the fall! Wish I lived a little closer to it!
Ray

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - Feb 24, 2008 2:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Humboldt

Is it named after Alexander Humboldt, the famous traveler and observer in the first half of the 19th century? I admire both him and his brother, Wilhelm, who was a genius linguist and social scientist.

This range looks very interesting. I guess there are no crowds of hikers there. How hot is up there in summer? I dislike temperatures higher than 20°C in mountains.

rayray

rayray - Feb 24, 2008 10:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Humboldt

Yes, that is correct on the naming of the range, Tomas. I've only been there a couple of times, in July of 2007. If my memory serves me right, the temps ranged from the high 50s to low 70s F when I was there. Without a doubt, it gets cold there in the winter. Angel Lake, where I understand the fishing is good, probably attracts the majority of visitors, along with the adjacent developed campground. When I summited Greys Peak above the lake, there were 20 or so people around the lake, however, I was on the mountain alone.

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - Feb 25, 2008 7:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Humboldt

Numbers of visitors you are speaking about (20 people around the lake) are incomparably to number of summer visitors in Tatras (During an average summer day visits the summit of Kriváň 300 to 700 people and Rysy summit have 500 to 1000 visitors per summer day). This comparison says something about wilderness and the extent to which your backcountry mountains are untouched. It is still good for a nature, since hardly anybody sleeps or cooks up there (not allowed). There are chalets and nearby villages and cities, where you can purchase any necessity. People only visit summits here, mostly left them untouched.

rayray

rayray - Feb 25, 2008 8:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Humboldt

It's hard for me to imagine that many visitors each day!! I don't think I would enjoy the experience with the crowds -- on most of my trips, I see no other people.

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - Feb 26, 2008 2:57 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Humboldt

If you start at dawn, there will be no other people at the summit in High Tatras. There are farther valleys, where at maximum dozens of people go during a summer day. In worse weather there will be significantly less visitors. Going in winter (only with climbing ID card), you will meet hardly anybody during a day. If you know all these, you will prevent going in crowds also in Tatras :) Neither I like going in crowds. I can manage to go in crowds very seldom. But it is for sure very different situation from what you experience in US desert areas.

rayray

rayray - Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Humboldt

The Tatras looks like a beautiful area. I would definitely start as early as possible to avoid the crowds. The desert peaks here offer a unique experience (and hazards) but I know they don't appeal to everyone.
Ray

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'East Humboldt Range' main page