East Ridge, 5.5

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.11452°N / 115.30735°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Lady MacDonald dominates the northern skyline of Canmore, Alberta, gateway to the Canadian Rockies through Banff National Park. Take the 2nd Canmore exit off of the TransCanada as you are heading west (downtown exit). Turn right on Benchlands Trail and the road will bend back east. Take another right on Elk Run Blvd and take an immediate left turn into the Cougar Canyon trailhead.

The scramble route is a fairly immediate turn after the trail narrows. The East Ridge does not start off the canyon floor for another 20-30 minutes. You will pass many sport climbing crags in route. The start of the East Ridge will be on your left prior to the fork in Cougar Creek. We did observe one flag marker. The trail ascends immediately, but is not obviously made out unless you are playing close attention. 30-40 minutes from your car.

Route Description

This is approximately a 4400' day. Ascend through tree line following the East Ridge until you reach solid rock. Ascend this first pitch as a scramble. Upon the next ledge, traverse slightly left looking for a blocky corner. This corner allows for protection if one desires. It will be bolted at the top. Then traverse left again for another pitch with another corner. Again bolted at the top, room for pro if desired. These two technical sections will land you on the ridge itself.

I soloed this ridge, however, the other 4 in my party remained roped. There is exposure and therefore, plenty of bolts. Excluding a few interesting pieces, blocks, etc. in-between, this ridge runs relativly uneventfull straight for the summit of Lady "Mac" for approximately 2000'. You will eventually observe the scramble route to your left passing through an old tea house (never completed) and helipad area. You will meet any scramblers on the false summit. From there, you have a narrow ridge to traverse over to the true summit. Again, some might rope up for this section. There is a register.

You do not have to return this narrow ridge all the way back to the false summit for descent. Return to a notch in the ridge and descend scree while picking your angle back to the helipad and the scramble route which will land you back to Cougar Creek trail.

Essential Gear

Helmet, Harness, Small Rack, Rope, Boots for Rock, a homemade Magic Bar from the Summit Cafe (good place for breakfast and buying a sack lunch-on your left before turning right on Elk Run Blvd)


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.