East slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.34410°N / 50.95880°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There".

Route Description


DISTANCES:

10 km Roodbarak to Vandar Bon (via a dirt road)
13 km Vandar Bon to Camp 3800 m in Hesar Chal
3.1 km Camp 3800 m to Gardooneh Kooh
26.1 km Total


From Roodbarak (elevation 1400 m) hike or drive a dirt road (passable by most/any car) about 10 km to a “village” known as Vandar Bon (2300 m) where the stream branches. Turn left and follow the banks of the Sardab Rood River to Hesar Chal. A Four Wheel Drive road follows the river from Vandar Bon to the “Tange Galoo” Narrows (3250 m). If you hire a vehicle to take you to “Tange Galoo” (available with the tour mentioned on the main page), you will significantly decrease your hiking time. When we were there in late June, the road could be driven up to about 3050 m only. Patches of snow blocked the rest of it.

At “Tange Galoo” you will have to hike up relatively steep snow banks in a somewhat rocky area. This should not be too difficult for a hiker but in early summer, a pack-mule may have a hard time going over the deep snow. At about 3600 m, the valley opens up and the slopes become very gentle. This is the beginning of the Hesar Chal Plain. The peaks that surround Hesar Chal begin to come into view. You can camp anywhere in Hesar Chal. We found a nice spot by the stream, at just below 3800 m, where rocks had been piled into a wind breaker wall.

From Camp 3800 m, the view of the summit of Gardooneh Kooh will be obstructed by the slopes in front of it but the Hezar Cham Peak and the very impressive rocky horn that forms the Menareh Peak will be in good view. Gardooneh Kooh is on the ridgeline between these two peaks. Hike toward the base of the Lashgarak the Great and Hezar Cham Peaks until Gardooneh Kooh comes into view. You can find your own way up the slopes or hike to the saddle between Hezar Cham and Gardooneh Kooh and then follow the gentle ridgeline to the summit. There is a small one room shelter on the mentioned saddle.

Essential Gear


In summer, nothing more than hiking boots and camping equipment.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.