East Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.98690°N / 106.9308°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive 7 and 1/2 miles east of Gunnison or 33 miles west of Monarch pass on Colorado state highway 50, take highway 114 south. Drive 20 miles and take a right on NN14 (also called Forest Service Road 3083 on the Uncompahgre National Forest map although not marked on the road). There will be a sign pointing to Old Agency something or other ( I forgot the 3rd word and incorrect in Roach's book) at this intersection. Drive south for approx. 3.1 miles and turn west (right) on KK 14 (also called Forest Service Road 3084). The road becomes Forest Service 788. Approx. 9 miles after turning on KK 14, continue straight (left) on forest service road 790. Drive 10 more miles and take a left on Forest Service Road 794.28 (Perfecto Creek Road). Drive approx. 4 more miles and turn right on Forest Service Road 794. Drive approx. 4 and 1/2 miles to the trailhead at 10,460 ft. in elevation.
(Directions courtesy of ATTM)

Route Description

Hike directly west, following Stewart Creek for four miles until reaching treeline. This relatively flat trail skirts Stewart Creek and eventually passes through a conifer forest. Just before reaching treeline, an old cabin is passed on the left. Upon reaching treeline, Organ Mountain will be directly south. For the last two miles, follow the trail and cairns southwest and begin climbing to the saddle between Organ Mountain and San Luis Peak. Upon reaching the saddle, head west and traverse the mountain to the left (south side) of the ridge. Reach another small saddle, then switch sides of the ridge and make your final ascent to the summit on the right (west) side of the ridge. Six miles from the trailhead and 3600 ft of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

Standard day hike gear including bomber rain gear.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.