East Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.89674°N / 107.78693°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This great route allows you to climb La Junta Peak from the absolutely stunning Bridal Veil Basin. You can hike past Bridal Veil Falls, dozens of falls in the basin, and uncountable numbers of flowers. You get great views of Mount Sneffels and the peaks around it. You get great views, tons of waterfalls, flowers and a great peak; what more can you ask for? This route is 6.25 miles roundtrip with 3100 vertical feet of elevation gain from the Bridal Veil Falls Power Station at the top of the road.

Getting There

From the town of Telluride drive east on the road towards Bridal Veil Falls. Follow the road as it turns to dirt and becomes a 4wd road. A sign at the start of the dirt says that the road is 4wd and a high clearance road, but almost any car with 4wd can make it up the road. From the first switchback in the road, follow the road for 2.2 miles to a gate at the end of the road. Park here, and the hiking begins.

Route Description

From parking your car, head through the gate and follow the broad road/trail up the valley. This road is now closed to vehicles, so it is a very peaceful valley. Follow the trail as it passes dozens of waterfalls, tons of flowers, through the pristine wilderness up along the valley. Stay right at the intersection with the Blue Lake Trail, and after 2.3 miles reach the base of the steep slopes to the summit. Head up the steep grass slopes, and negotiate your way through some minor cliff bands. The easiest route through these are class 2 and follow the steep grass slopes to the great summit.
La Junta Peak


This route can hide approaching storms, as the author got caught in one near the summit, and had to high tail it down the route. Start early in the morning. There is plenty of water on this hike, so bring your filter, and you will be treated to pristine mountain water.

Essential Gear

hiking boots, poles if you want them, rain gear and a map are recommended for this hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.