Eatonville Viewpoint (Point 1824)

Eatonville Viewpoint (Point 1824)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.83970°N / 122.25835°W
Additional Information County: Pierce
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1824 ft / 556 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the foothills of Mount Rainier lies the Pack Experimental Forest. This is a multiple use conservationist park that was donated by Charles Lathrop Pack back in 1926 to the University of Washington in order to conserve Washington State Forest for many years to come. This park basically contain a group of foothills south of Eatonville and west of Mount Rainier National Park. As time as gone along this park as become more focused on classroom usage and sustainable use. You will see a number of educational areas while at this park. This summit is located on the eastern end of the park. It is a double summit peak with just under 200 feet of prominence and the name of this peak has no official name and information on this peak is not well noted. I decided to note it with the name of "Eatonville Viewpoint" because of it's excellent views of nearby Eatonville and its stunning views of Mount Rainier. 

Tahoma making its presence known
Tahoma making its presence known


Both high points have communication towers on them. The western top is the higher top whereas the eastern summit has the better views. Being on the eastern end this area does not receive much traffic. However this peak does have by far the best views of the Experimental Forest and is the only peak in the park to have excellent views of Mount Rainier. There is also an excellent view towards the town of Eatonville and to the south as well. Reaching the summit requires a fire road walk of 2.5 miles round-trip and 500 feet of elevation gain. One can easily combine this peak with other hikes in the park. 

Eatonville view
Eatonville view

Getting There

FROM ROUTE 161 in Puyallup: Take 161 south for 24.5 miles into the town of Eatonville. Make a left on Center Street which will soon become Alder Cutoff Road. Stay on that road for about four miles and there will be a gravel road pull out on your left. Park on the side to avoid blocking the road. Hunting does happen here from time to time to be aware. 

Parking area desirables
You are in the correct parking area if you spot this!!!
Head that way
Head that way...LOL

Route

Map of the Route
Map of the Route

From Alder Cutoff Road hike up the gated gravel road all the way to the first road to the right. Make a right there and hike it until the road forks. At the fork make a left and take it all the way to the communication tower summit. This is the true summit but the views are rapidly becoming over grow. Head east down a grassy slope to the eastern summit where clear views of Eatonville and Mount Rainier await. Return the way you came OR take what looks to be a boot-path back to the gated road as a shortcut. 

Road up to Mashel Peak
Road up to the near the summit
Communication towers on the summit
Communication towers on the true summit

Red Tape

Hiking at the park is free and is from dawn to dusk 7 days a week. 

When to Climb

Mount Goodie
Mount Goodie from Point 1824

This hike is doable at any time of the year. There are a good amount of hardwoods in the region so October might be a good time to get some good fall foliage in.  In order to get the most enjoyment from this hike this hike for either a shoulder season or winter when conditions in the higher mountains don't look so good. 

The Maane Event worshipping Tahoma
The Maane Event worshipping Tahoma!! 

Camping

Camping is prohibited on the trails. However there is designated accommodations within the park. Check out information on the Conference Center Website

External Links