Elephant Dome Comments

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Rahel Maria Liu

Rahel Maria Liu - Jan 23, 2002 5:29 am - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

Hi Josh,



sounds good, what you are writing in the overview!! Sounds as if I should go there .... desert adventure .... hmm, have not tried it yet ... but isn't that too hot?? You know, I prefer ice climbing, and even on glaciers, I were sometimes so warm although I wore only a t-shirt ... can't image what I should wear climbing in the desert ... ;o))



Well, but after I have read your page, hm, I still have a lot of questions:



  • You are talking about the area "Coyote Domes" as "home to lots of long, runout trad climbs" ... if this area is so important for climbers, I would really like to know something about this area in general ... only a little bit ...
  • Elephant Dome as one of these important climbing mountains probably has more than this one route you described in the special route's description. Is this right? Than I would really like to know something about the other routes in general: How difficult are they? How long are they? How much time do I need for them? What is the most famous one of these routes? What is the easiest one? What is the most difficult one?
  • Getting there ... hm, I will come from Europe by plane ... to which airport should I fly? Has Tucson an international airport? And we Europeans, you know, are so much used to taking trains and busses ... Is it maybe possible to reach the base of the mountain by train and/or bus or do I have to rent a car necessarily? If I could use train/bus, could you maybe tell me where the next train station/bus station to the base of the mountain is so that I know the direction of the train/bus?
  • And where can I stay overnight near the base of the mountain? Could you maybe give me some addresses, phone numbers and internet links concerning information about accomodation/camping, also about the area, train/bus connections as well as weather conditions?
  • And I would also like to read something about Elephant Dome and Coyotes Domes before I leave Germany. Could you maybe tell me some book titles with a bookstore link??




  • That would be so great!! Many thanks in advance! ;o)) Hope, I can go there some day in the future! ;o)



    Regards, Rahel

    Steven Cross

    Steven Cross - Mar 23, 2002 10:25 am - Voted 8/10

    Untitled Comment

    could use more routes and ned to put when to do it. I could not imagine doing it in the dead of summer. It looks more like a winter climb when the temperature is cooler. what months are best to get away from the heat and is it ever to cold to hike it?

    mpbro

    mpbro - May 14, 2002 8:58 am - Voted 5/10

    Untitled Comment

    This page needs a lot of work. Has the maintainer climbed it?



    The overview needs to be expanded upon.

    Other climbs need to be researched.

    What is the standard route?

    Any more red tape? Forest Service?

    Links to trip reports/beta on the web?

    rpc

    rpc - Nov 12, 2002 1:41 pm - Voted 10/10

    Untitled Comment

    What are the conditions like in late Dec.?

    thanks.

    Andinistaloco

    Andinistaloco - Jan 17, 2005 10:59 pm - Voted 10/10

    Untitled Comment

    Rpc, you heading down to the dome? I was thinking of climbing that one myself. Let me know, otherwise I have to train my ladyfriend, who climbs 5.6 at the gym and wonders, "but how do they get the ropes up there?"



    rpc

    rpc - Jan 20, 2005 12:41 pm - Voted 10/10

    Untitled Comment

    juh,

    sorry - did not notice your post till now. Unfortunately no plans right now to head back down to AZ (wish we could do that though given the extra sh..ty weather here in Oregon :)

    It does look like a fun climb!

    jenniferdenoya

    jenniferdenoya - Dec 4, 2004 7:13 am - Voted 10/10

    Untitled Comment

    Good improvements...congrats on your adoption. :-)

    Andinistaloco

    Andinistaloco - Sep 12, 2005 9:30 pm - Voted 10/10

    Untitled Comment

    Thanks! And with all of my exploring, I had no idea this area was so close to Tucson. It's pretty well hidden....

    azbobkerry - Dec 31, 2010 1:49 pm - Hasn't voted

    Guidebook

    There is guidebook online for this area at

    http://www.climbaz.com/Backcountry/page_html/page146.html

    If you need a lot of hand-holding this is not the place for you.

    Viewing: 1-9 of 9
    Return to 'Elephant Dome' main page