Elephanthead Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Peaker

Peaker - Nov 29, 2021 8:06 pm Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2021

Standard Trail  Sucess!

Hiked up from Mission Creek trailhead. Nice view of the Crazies once you get a few miles up the trail.

Habakkuk 3:19 - Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm Date Climbed: Jun 27, 2020

Elephanthead and Big Loop  Sucess!

Suce Creek "Big Loop" up N. Fork Deep Crk, 2 hours monkeying around/hiking up Elephanthead, down Elephanthead Trail, thru the brushy East Baldy Basin Trail, over Livingston Pass and down West Baldy Basin, then back down Suce Creek Connector to the Suce Creek Trailhead. Lovely day till the last hour when the rain rolled in (still nice, just muddy/slippery). Great wildflowers, stream crossings not bad (shoes off for 1st one on East Baldy Trail), very few people. =) Fresh bear scat and tracks on East Baldy Trail. All trails easy to follow except in east basin just below Livingston Peak but very obvious where to go. Several big snowfields on upper Elephanthead Trail and a few tiny ones just over Livingston Pass (west side). About 19 miles, 11.5 hours total (breaks, time at Elephanthead included). Not sure but estimate 5000+ feet total vertical feet. Tired and happy. Refreshed.

wallacecasper21@gmail.com

wallacecasper21@gmail.com - May 8, 2020 11:06 am Date Climbed: Dec 14, 2017

Early Season Ski Descent  Sucess!

Approach wasn't too bad, but quite a few down trees and we couldn't skin until about 2 miles in. The summit pitch was very icy, crampons were nice. Very fun descent down the NE face. No new snow had fallen for over a week, and avi conditions were solid, but be careful up there and comfortable making your own assessments because the area is not avi forcasted.

freedeep

freedeep - Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm Date Climbed: Jul 15, 1985

From Swingley Road head south  Sucess!

Easy day hike. You cross several prominent layers of the Limestone that used to overlay the Absaroka and Beartooth Mtns. Great views.

jigglelow - Jan 26, 2017 1:31 pm Date Climbed: Aug 13, 2016

Fun peak to bag!  Sucess!

Hiked up mission creek. I hiked up to the saddle East of the peak rather than breaking off to the west earlier to summit. Once I got to the saddle, I continued around to the south side of Elephanthead to summit. Steep cliffs on the south side forced me to hike back to the saddle. Although the south side was climbable, this was a solo adventure and I did not want to risk injury without anyone to assist me. I returned to the north face and summited. Straightforward climb up the north face. Easy hike back to Mission Creek TH.

awhite28

awhite28 - Jul 18, 2014 11:29 pm Date Climbed: Jul 18, 2014

Suce Creek

I tried this for a second time from Suce Creek after being turned around by weather the first time. I made it to 100 feet below the summit before realizing I would have to drop about 500 feet and ascend another 600 to make it, plus ascend another 500 feet back to where I was. As it ended up being a 13 mile, 4800 foot day I decided not to add an additional 1000+ feet and called it good. It would have been nice to know that the drop near the summit was required - I would have just come in from Mission Creek. So I wouldn't really recommend this route unless you're looking for a pretty big day. A possibly class 4 route looks like it goes from the NW corner but I was solo and didn't want to risk it. Also, I'm not sure why the author made those comments about bears not being here... they move... into Suce Creek... I scared the biggest black bear I've ever seen (with the biggest scat) about 2 miles from Elephanthead...

josephbschmitt0415

josephbschmitt0415 - Sep 22, 2013 7:04 pm Date Climbed: May 5, 2012

3 Summit Laps on My Dirty Thrity  Sucess!

Skinned in via Mission Creek with Casey, Dave, and his dog Bosco. A windy day with creamy powder turns. A very fun ski descent! Great way spend a birthday.

montbadlands - Sep 5, 2012 7:30 pm Date Climbed: Aug 5, 2010

Elephanthead climb

A fun hike with spectacular scenery. Part of the fun is just finding the trailhead - there was no sign pointing the way along the Bruffey Road so we wandered around the area for a bit before realizing that we needed the road into the 63 Ranch. Just follow the narrow road past the ranch buildings for a mile or so to the trailhead in the deep, dark woods. We hiked the trail up the Mission Creek drainage to about the 8500' elevation, then headed west and scrambled up onto a steep limestone bed. Followed that all the way to the summit.

ianc82

ianc82 - Jul 29, 2012 1:57 am Date Climbed: May 13, 2012

Classic spring skiing!  Sucess!

Skied this peak with my dog and friend JamesB. I can't remember the exact date but it was around mid May. Saw two other parties of people skiing. Snow got a little warm towards the end of the day but was otherwise awesome.

JLuthanen

JLuthanen - Jul 4, 2012 9:21 am Date Climbed: Apr 27, 2012

Winter 2012 backcountry session

First time ever bringing my crappy ski setup into the backcountry. IMO, way too much weight for my lack of skills. Whiteout conditions up high meant we couldn't even see the peak. Followed trail 037 up the creek relatively high up the drainage til conditions prevented us going further, camped on the snow, and made a couple laps in the AM. Would like to go back in summer

wyomtman

wyomtman - Nov 8, 2011 2:39 pm Date Climbed: Jun 5, 2008

Eyed it for a long time...  Sucess!

Short approach for a fun snowboard decent.

Jolee

Jolee - Sep 19, 2011 11:54 pm Date Climbed: Sep 5, 2011

Leisurely Day  Sucess!

Elephanthead was an unexpected treat. Fun walk up.

CBakwin

CBakwin - Aug 26, 2011 9:53 am Date Climbed: Oct 24, 2010

Yo  Sucess!

Climbed this with Baker, and Three dogs. Cool day with lots of wind on the top. Really great hike!!

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Elephanthead Mountain' main page