Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.03207°N / 116.34642°W
Additional Information County: Riverside
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5516 ft / 1681 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View to the EastView to the east from the summit of Eureka Peak.
At 5516', Eureka Peak is the 4th highest point in Joshua Tree National Park after Quail Mountain, Queen Mountain and Inspiration Point. The peak, found in the northwestern part of the park, is perhaps the most easily accessed 5000'+ named peak in the park as the "standard route" is a dirt road. However, due to its remoteness from the rest of the park, the summit infrequently visited (at least when compared to a place like say Keys View).

The road actually does not go completely to the top but rather, stops a hundred or so yards short. An unmaintained trail goes up the remaining way.

For most experienced climbers, the view isn't exactly what would be deemed "impressive" although the city of Palm Springs is visible to the southwest. Due its modest prominence of 776 feet, the view is obscured by other mountains to the east and north.

Getting There

San Gorgonio PassView to the west is of the San Gorgonio Pass.
From Palm Springs
Take CA-62 north from the junction with I-10. In Yucca Valley, turn right onto Sage Ave. and immediately left on Yucca Trail. Continue straight until buildings give way to open desert and watch for a dirt road on the right. There should be a paved road opposite it. Entrance is unsigned as of early 2009 (unless I just missed it somehow). Turn right and head straight through what looks like an isolated community.

Continue through (on La Contenta Road) until the road forks left with a sign for Covington Flats. Take the fork and continue past the park entrance sign through a grove of Joshua Trees. A second fork should come up with the left fork having a locked gate entering the flat. Continue with the right fork. Continue to a sign for Upper Covington Flat and turn right. Head straight on this road past the turn for Upper Covington Flat (another one) at which point the road slowly begins to ascend the peak. Park at the end of the road.

Regulations

A $10 7-day park pass is required and may be paid at the Black Road Canyon visitor center. Campgrounds are found there as well. Annual pass is $40 good for Joshua Tree NP only or $80 for all federal lands.

Alternatively...

The peak may also be climbed via a 10 mile route from Black Rock Canyon on the California Riding and Hiking Trail and the Eureka Peak Trail. The route ends at the parking lot.

External Links

Joshua Tree National Park on NPS - official site of Joshua Tree NP.
Biking Eureka Peak - more information regarding biking up the peak.
Eureka Peak on Wikipedia - some general information on the wiki.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.