Viewing: 1-20 of 22
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Apr 27, 2012 8:44 am - Voted 10/10

Looks like a good plan.

Hope things go your way!


Alpinist - Apr 27, 2012 1:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Looks like a good plan.

Thanks Bill. I haven't been getting out enough and I'm surely looking forward to it.


Juanneman - May 8, 2012 4:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Solo in June

Hi guys,

I'm going solo to Elbrus next month.
I did mont blanc and matterhorn solo, so now i try this one.

I hope to learn from you guys the latest situation on the mountain to optimize my expedition.

Thanks for making this blog!

I wish you lots of luck.

Kind regards,


Juanneman - May 21, 2012 2:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Solo in June

Hi guys,

I see that luck is not on your side...
Why don't you break up camp 2 tomorrow and set it up at PASTUKHOV ROCKS, so you have have to cover 2500feet.

That's what i would do.

Hope to get up and down safe!

Talk to you later.



Alpinist - May 24, 2012 3:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Solo in June

Hi Jan. I was not able to read messages while on the mountain. I was phoning in updates to a friend who was updating SP for me. Moving to Pashtuhova Rocks will definitely shorten your summit day and is not a bad strategy but there are some trade offs.

1) There are no great spots for a tent; the area is very exposed and there are no level spots for a tent.

2) With the amount of time we had, moving to Pashtuhova Rocks would have reduced the number of possible summit days. The weather window would have been much shorter.

Keep in mind that many people summit from the Diesel Huts and we were camped above them. Were it not for the recent snowfall that slowed our ascent, we likely would have made the summit before the storm hit.

avonlori - May 14, 2012 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Pulling for you!

Can't wait to see your progress!

Fabrikgirl - May 15, 2012 10:04 pm - Hasn't voted


I love reading the postings. So amazing. Hi from home. Jennifer

CindyDowning - May 17, 2012 8:46 am - Hasn't voted

Praying for You!

Hi Paul (and George!) Keeping up with you back here in Kalamazoo and your ReCAST small group! Thanks George for the pics! and both of you for your updates!!! You're amazing!

shorn02 - May 17, 2012 10:45 am - Hasn't voted

Looking Good....

Having fun in HOT Arizona keeping track... Be safe and have a great time.... Uncles

Fabrikgirl - May 17, 2012 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

From Sarah and mimi

Sarah says ILYM, Mimi says she is thinking of you. I say ...have fun!

packermom - May 20, 2012 12:46 pm - Hasn't voted


Scott and I wait each day to read your post. Thinking of you with love. We will have a Kringle waiting for you!

avonlori - May 20, 2012 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted


My congratts are in anticipation of your summit! I misread the text at 3 am and thought it said summit may 20 instead of Sunday may 20!! Hang in there. You will get there! Glad you aren't taking risky chances.

startepe - May 22, 2012 3:22 pm - Hasn't voted

August Attempt

I was wondering if you had any INTEL on how safe the region is this year?

I would love to talk with you when you get back!!



Alpinist - May 23, 2012 11:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: August Attempt

We walked to/from Cheget to Azou a couple of times and never felt unsafe. I've heard that issues like what happened last year occur every 6-7 years here but everything appears safe and stable now. We hired Pilgrim Tours to handle ground transfers for us to/from MinVody and that worked out perfectly, even arriving late at night on a Sunday... Send me a private message thru SP if you want to talk in more detail.

packermom - May 23, 2012 8:10 am - Hasn't voted

So sorry

We are so sorry that you were unable to finish your climb but thankful that you were cautious and made the right decision. We are very proud of you.
Jan and Scott


Cands1305 - May 23, 2012 11:40 am - Voted 10/10

Well done!

You guys did an awesome job - and really inspirational. Your decisions were absolutely perfect - as they say the mountain will always be sad as it is, you have your lives and had a great adventure nonetheless. I've loved reading your posts, I'm climbing on 25 June - also worried about the weather, but only time will tell!
Again, well done and thanks for the info!


Alpinist - May 24, 2012 3:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Thanks Cands. We did indeed have a great adventure and I have no regrets for any of our decisions or for going on the trip.


Scott - May 23, 2012 12:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Sorry to hear...

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it. We were turned back by weather as well (a late September trip).

Better luck next time.


Alpinist - May 24, 2012 2:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry to hear...

Thanks Scott. It was still a fun experience even though we didn't summit. Breaking trail for 4000ft at that altitude was an epic day for me and one that I'll always remember.

avonlori - May 24, 2012 11:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Glad you are safe!

All of us here at home are happy to know you are safe. What a trip! You guys are amazing!!

Viewing: 1-20 of 22
Return to 'Expedition Log - Mount Elbrus 2012' main page