Exploring Captain Smith's cabin

Exploring Captain Smith's cabin

in Escalante Canyon.
Misa
on Oct 3, 2011 4:24 pm
Image ID: 750974

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4

loren - Apr 13, 2013 8:32 pm - Hasn't voted

capt. smiths cabin.

My GrandFather lived in Smiths cabin in the 20s.
My Father and his sister lay in the same bed with diptheria.His sister died there.
A spring used to bubble out of the ground just up from the large red round rock in front of the first house.
There is a meat locker (cellar) approx 60 ft. Behind the guest house.
The shelved door in the guest house opened to the pantry.
My Father played with the Younger brothers cousins,whom all lived farther up escalante.
The Younger brothers (outlaws) hid from the law in the canyon in thier time

loren - Apr 13, 2013 8:42 pm - Hasn't voted

capt.Smiths cabin.

Half a century ago I visited the cabiin and surrounding area many times and several times siince.
We swam in the creek,hiked all over, and had fun.
I am a colorado native.
Much time have I spent in all the mountain towns.
I love Colorado,the State of the 14ers.
LDG
P.S. I wass born in Denver, raised in Grand Jct.

Misa

Misa - Apr 14, 2013 10:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: capt.Smiths cabin.

WOW - thank you so much about the information, and so much personal input. The cabin is often visited now, and it is a popular destination for rock climbers.
There is a picnic table right next to it.
I also hiked the McCarthy trail in Escalante, and they also call it robber's trail (supposedly there is a hidden treasure somewhere up. I wish to find it).
Thanks again... hard to believe that there are still people who remember those who lived there!

reboyles

reboyles - Nov 21, 2013 7:18 am - Hasn't voted

Behunin Cabin

A good friend of mine is the great grandson of Elijah Behunin, the guy who built the Behunin cabin in Capitol Reef. Our past is not as far away as it might seem to some people. Heck, my mother grew up on a farm in North Dakota that didn't have plumbing or electricity until the early 40s.

Bob

Viewing: 1-4 of 4