The Splattski (SE) Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.61410°N / 115.974°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2. (some steep slopes)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

An extended route from the Southern approach to the east ridge that utilizes an access road that appears to be used for maintenance of the utility pole on the route. In short; same great local hike with an added mile or so. Approx 3 miles and 2,000ft from car to summit. Enjoy!

Getting There

Drive past the spring Shores boat ramps and park at the big turn out on the right just before the road bends to the left (north). Almost directly across the paved road is a dirt road leading up to a gate that is easily passed on either side. You should see miscellaneous equipment like pipes, etc.

Route Description

From the gate, follow the dirt road to the right. It extends to the edge of the east ridge then turns 180* left heading west and climbs up the east ridge. It continues up to the utility pole and joins up with the standard route, from the spring shores area, up to the summit. I did this route just to add some time and miles feet to the hike. Not sure of the exact distance but I'm calling it approx 3 miles one way, so a 6 mile round trip. The path is well defined and easy to follow. As usual I would recommend to avoid cutting the turns to avoid excess wear, as well as staying on the open dirt whenever possible.

Essential Gear

Your standard day hiking gear for the conditions will do just fine.
When the snow pack is decent, this is an excellent snow shoe trip! I would avoid this peak all together in the heat of summer, as there is no shade at all.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.