Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Scott

Scott - Oct 11, 2007 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Gongga Shan

I would have to say that Gongga Shan/Minya Konka is a very famous 7000 meter peak as well.

There are several reasons in history that the mountain is famous.

1. It was first climbed in 1932; one of the first of the big mountains to be climbed. A book was written about the expedition called "Men against the Clouds".

2. The mountain was reported at times to be higher than Everest. The surveyed elevation was 30,250 feet in 1930 which caused quite a stir and excitment amoung some. This survey proved to be erroneous, but still it was indeed formerly was the highest in China.

3. To this day, the mountain apparently has the highest death rate in the world. The death rate is even higher than such feared mountains as Nanga Parbat, K2, and Annapurna. The 1932 expedition was composed of brave men indeed.

BigLee

BigLee - Nov 5, 2007 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Crown Peak / Description

Sorry, but Crown Peak is definately not a famous peak. It has only been climbed once and is in one of the least visited valleys in the whole Karakoram.
Also, not all the 7000m peaks are in the Himalaya (not "Himalayas" - there is only one of them!) so this statement is wrong. There are 7000m peaks in the Karakoram, Hindukush, Pamir, Tian Shan, and the Daxue Shan range (Gongga Shan). Khan Tengri for example is nowhere near the Himalaya.

Lodewijk

Lodewijk - Nov 6, 2007 10:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Crown Peak / Description

I changed the page due to your comment. I deleted Crown Peak, because it is not famous. But the fact it has only been climbed once, is visited seldom and has a beautiful shape makes it an intriging mountains in my opinion. But intriging is indeed not the same as 'famous'.
I thought of all the 'high' mountain ranges all as one and named them the Himalaya. Of course you are right it are many different ones, I changed that too.

BigLee

BigLee - Nov 10, 2007 10:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Crown Peak / Description

Looks better now.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Famous 7000ers' main page