Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.38457°N / 12.08310°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6309 ft / 1923 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located between the south – north running valleys of Auffach to the west and Kelchsau to the east, Feldalphorn is the first higher summit of the Alpbach – Wildschönau subrange between these valleys. It is a 1923 m high summit with mostly gentle brush and meadow slopes in all directions. Nearby and slightly higher Schwaiberghorn to the south offers a good opportunity for a nice and short traverse.

Feldalphorn is a classic hiking summit and gets his visits, too, during winter and spring, as it is a nice ski touring aim. The south ridge, coming from Schwaiberghorn, splits in two subridges like a Y at Feldalphorn, thus offering several routes and trails up to this summit.

I like best the traverse Feldalphorn – Schwaiberghorn to and fro Kelchsau, a typical old Kitzbüheler village with many old houses. If you get the chance come to see the spectacular day of return of the cattle from the high Alm meadows to the valley in September.

FeldalphornOld farmhouse at Kelchsau village
FeldalphornKelchsau cattle return



Getting There

Trailheads for Feldalphorn are:

  • Kelchsau to the east and

  • Auffach / Wildschönau to the west

  • to the north there is a hikers parking area at about a hight of 1500 m on Sonnberg / Oberau on the north ridge of Feldalphorn



  • FeldalphornFeldalphorn summit
    FeldalphornFeldalphorn and small pond on Schwaiberghorn east ridge


    You reach these trailheads

    by car:

  • From Munich or Salzburg directions use highway A 8 to Inntal junction and then highway A 93 / A 12 (in Austria toll road) to exit Wörgl.

  • From Innsbruck direction go on highway A 12 likewise to exit Wörgl.

  • Turn on road number 178 and then on road number 170 until you reach Hopfgarten.


  • For the Auffach valley trailheads follow the signposts to Wildschönau (road number L 3) until you reach Auffach. Follow the valley road until you reach Schwarzenau with some possibilities to park near the trailheads.

    For the Kelchsau trailhead leave road number 170 after the center of Hopfgarten, following the signposts to Kelchsau. Go on Kelchsauer Landstraße to Innerkelchsau with a parking area.

    by train and bus:

    The nearest railway station is Hopfgarten. Bus number 4064 goes to Auffach (bus stop “Auffach Melkstatt”), Bus number 4057 to Innerkelchsau (bus stop “Innerkelchsau, Gasthof Fuchswirt or Dorfwirt).

    Please note that the frequency of these busses per day is not very high.


    Route Overview

    Feldalphorn Routes Overview:



    There are several routes to Feldalphorn; I will recommend three main hiking routes and the main ski routes.


    trailhead Kelchsau

    Take the forest road starting at the bridge of the valley main road over Kelch creek coming down from Feldalphorn between Kelchsau Unterdorf and Kelchsau Oberdorf.
    Follow this forest road up to a huge farm house. Take the right hand forest road zigzagging up to the mountain station of the Kelchsau ski area and Höhenbrandalm. Take a narrow and steep trail from there directly up to another forest road and stay left, following this road and passing by a hunters cabin to the beautiful and old Trockenbach Alm. Take the right hand trail (signposts) up to the northeast ridge of Feldalphorn leading up to the summit.

    FeldalphornTrockenbachalm on the Kelchsau route
    FeldalphornUpper Kelchsau route near the summit



    trailhead Auffach

    There are several possibilities to summit Feldalphorn from Auffach; the best ones are the forest roads Unterbergweg or, located a bit more to the south, Prädasten. Both routes (mainly forest roads) unite below Feldalm, a trail goes up from the junction to the summit, using the last bit of the north ridge.

    FeldalphornPonds on the north ridge
    FeldalphornNorth ridge with Feldalphorn



    trailhead Sonnberg / Oberau

    Just follow the trail on the north ridge to Turmkogl and proceed on the north ridge to Feldalphorn. Easy hike, short.


    Traverse

    The simple connecting ridge Feldalphorn – Schwaiberghorn is an easy hike; the traverse can be done if starting at Kelchsau or from some parking areas south of Auffach within Auffach valley.

    The traverse with the latter trailhead can be extended to the south from Schwaiberghorn to the secondary summits of Breiteggern, Wildkarspitze, Breiteggspitze before descending into Auffach valley / Alpengasthof Schönanger.

    Easy but very nice hikes.

    FeldalphornTraverse Feldalphorn - Schwaiberghorn
    FeldalphornView of Großer Rettenstein and Großvenediger region from the traverse



    Ski Routes

    trailhead Auffach

    Start at Schwarzenau south of Auffach and ascend through clearings to Prädasten and to the Feldalm meadows. Ascend Feldalphorn directly from the Feldalm medows. Downhill the same route.

    trailhead Kelchsau

    Start at Höhenbrandalm, using the ski lifts from Kelchsau to get there. Follow the Kelchsau route via Trockenbachalm and the northeast ridge. Dowenhill the same route.

    The traverse to Schwaiberghorn can be done by skies, too, thus combining the ski routes to both summits.


    Red Tape & Accommodation

    FeldalphornKelchsau valley


    No red tape as far as I know.

    Most parking areas are without fee (2017).


    You find accommodation of all kind at

    Kelchsau
    Auffach / Wildschönau

    There is no mountain hut around. Some Alm huts sell drinks and food and maybe mountain cheese.


    Gear & Mountain Condition

    In summer and autumn you need normal hiking gear and good shoes. All routes are easy hiking routes; some trails can be steep and narrow, however. A good map of the area is recommended.

    In winter you need full ski hike gear and your avalanche gear.
    See the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.


    Current Weather Kelchsau valley:


    Maps

    FeldalphornFeldalphorn summit ridge



    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 50.000; Kitzbüheler Alpen östliches Blatt, Nr. 34/2, Deutscher Alpenverein, 2009; - topo map with trails

    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 50.000; Kitzbüheler Alpen östliches Blatt, Nr. 34/2 S, Deutscher Alpenverein, 2009; - topo map with ski routes

    Austrian Topo Maps:

    Österreichische Karte 1 : 50.000 - UTM (ÖK50):

    3213, Wörgl
    3219, Neukirchen am Großvenediger

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Kitzbüheler AlpenMountains & Rocks